Prospector looking for mineral ID!!

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Orange County, Southern Californi
Detector(s) used
As of now, a cheap 50 dollar detector from harbor freight tools. Hopefuls getting a garret 150 for Christmas though!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys! So I've been into AU prospecting for some time, but never really got into rock hounding or mineralogy. I'm very interested in the topic, and would like to get my feet wet haha. I was out prospecting a creek in my area, and happened across a lot of different types of rock, but I don't know what is what. I think acquiring a little knowledge, and delving into the world of minerals other than gold, would serve me well!

I grabbed two rocks, these two being the most prevalent rocks in that creek, in an attempt to find out what exactly they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rock one has a lot of crystalline structure, translucent, pinks and reds, with a lot of black specks (which I assume to be hematite or mica or something of that nature). It crumbles and fractures easily.

Rock two is a dense, solid rock with a lot of "rusty" looking areas, as well as a somewhat metallic sheen in certain areas.

Attachments

• image-2785864059.jpg
    image-2785864059.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1748004394.jpg
    image-1748004394.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 95
  • image-1272877557.jpg
    image-1272877557.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 97
  • image-392132369.jpg
    image-392132369.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 79
  • image-2102006567.jpg
    image-2102006567.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 98
  • image-2898575344.jpg
    image-2898575344.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 94
  • image-3435021876.jpg
    image-3435021876.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 90

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first is what I have always referred to as decomposing granite not sure on second rock.

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dep, Im in OC too, Costa Mesa. I also started out as an AU guy, but quickly realized there is alot of other stuff out there and more easily found than gold, especially gems. There is gold and silver in Saddleback, but the creek out in RSM is all claimed up. I've found some nice fossils and chalcedony out there. Lately though I've been digging out some of the things below.

Benitoite, my absolute favorite.
photo 2.JPG

Garnets!
photo 4.JPG

Uvarovite, aka green garnets!
photo 3.JPG

Corundum aka Ruby & Sapphire
IMAG1032.jpg

Fire agate, Tourmaline, Halite, Hanksite and the list goes on and on. All of this is found within a 3.5 hour radius of where we live. All of it is collectable and has value. Gold is great, especially when you find it, but unless I am in the motherlode country I'm primarily looking for minerals other than gold nowadays.

Learning more about other minerals will make you a better gold prospector. You will gain greater knowledge of the geology that produces gold, what minerals it's associated with and how to identify said minerals. It will make you a much better and happier prospector.

If you ever want to go out give me a shout. I'm a member of Searcher Gem & Mineral Club as well as Rt66goldminers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DeputyProspector

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Orange County, Southern Californi
Detector(s) used
As of now, a cheap 50 dollar detector from harbor freight tools. Hopefuls getting a garret 150 for Christmas though!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey MrLee, thanks for the input! I'm from the city of Orange, so we're pretty close bud! Yeah, my grandma and grandpa like to collect rocks that are "pretty", but they don't know anything about the mineralogy behind them. I think my grandpa actually bought a rock tumbler and a few other lapidary items as well.

I'd love to go out man, if you'd like, send me a PM and well meet up maybe?

I learn a lot better in the field, getting to see and hold the specimens in person, and see where they came from, etc. I'm about 15-20 minutes from trabuco creek/holy jim area.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread