Status
Not open for further replies.

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Was out near the islands today,and decided to stop at my buds,first thing that caught my eye was the backhoe,after asking what it was for he said, he had been digging next door on his empty lot,so I had to look,he got pretty deep,and among other fossils I found these were some cool rocks I kept
Enjoy callcc.jpg

bobby5

Jun 19, 2012
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Garrett Carrot, Several Older Garrett Detectors and a Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know a thing about rocks, but they do look very interesting.

Upvote 0

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be you have the Minis touch!

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know how to clean these,but as usual this thread is dead,i do however see at least 15 threads regarding the gold found last year by this couple and there dog

You would probably get better response if posted in the Geological Forum than here. Let me know if you want it moved..m

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to know how to clean these,but as usual this thread is dead,i do however see at least 15 threads regarding the gold found last year by this couple and there dog

About the best you can do with the specimens is to soak them in fresh water, change the water every few days and let the residual salt leach out of them. After that a bath in a light mixture of dishwashing liquid and water, then rinse and allow to dry. If the crystals on the host rocks are Calcite, the use of any acids or harsh cleaners could totally destroy the crystals.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The acid talked about above will also positively identify your crystals as calcite. Put a drop of acid (i.e vinegar) and see if it bubbles and fizzles, if it does - calcite.
If not I'd bet it's quartz.

Cleanse the piece with water to remove the acid after the test. Use one of the "less pretty" specimens for the test, or on a area not so easy to see.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
slowwevo

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back today,got many more prime pieces,all of them like these grow in clams,i also don't have the acid to do a test,i just wanted to know what needed to be done preservation wise,before I put them in a display,i am almost 100%they are calcite

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread