please help identify

keralexis

Oct 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20140225_235727.png

ForumRunner_20140225_235810.png

Got these from Sheffield Mine, but no idea what they may be. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140225_235847.png
    ForumRunner_20140225_235847.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears to be Schist and/or Gneiss conglomerate with Sandstone and other compositions compressed together and it is probably loaded with little Rubies, Sapphires and/or Garnets. No real value other than placing them where sunlight can hit them and watch the displays of sparkles, reflection and refractions in the sunlight. If I had to guess, I would imagine the rock weighs almost 3 times what a similar sized and shaped sedimentary rock weighs!

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

keralexis

Oct 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. As these have only been barely cleaned up with water (I was afraid to use anything harsher) is there some way to clean up more & would it make much difference?

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. As these have only been barely cleaned up with water (I was afraid to use anything harsher) is there some way to clean up more & would it make much difference?

With a specimen like your's, you and it would be better served to just scrub it with a toothbrush and a dishwashing liquid/water mixture and/or maybe some toothpaste. While the dishwashing liquid/water may clean up some of the dirt on the piece, the toothpaste can give a real shine to any small gems peeking out on it. Acids such as Oxalic Acid and Muriatic Acid are used on Quartz and other Gem specimens to clean clay and Iron staining from them. However, on a specimen such as your's, either of these could totally destroy it as some compounds (mineral compositions) do not fair well when subjected to Acids.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

keralexis

Oct 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I will try the dishwashing liquid & water mixture with the toothbrush. I actually have a handful of these. Can't wait to see how they look after cleaning up!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread