Curious looking rock

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I moved into my home I noticed this rock.

Anyone able to tell me about it?

I like the way it looks. It's different. It will be a nice item in my yard.

image-116030810.jpg

image-3828994730.jpg

image-1454996896.jpg

image-2679527860.jpg

image-3140504700.jpg

image-3028232381.jpg

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
At first glance I was tempted to say it looked like porcelain slag.. still does to some degree.. but after viewing the last image.. I've noticed a common structure which I see all the time when searching for my stones.. There is limestone present as well as slight hints of quartz and agate which is what you pointing at.. ill formed thunder eggs.. or Chalcedony. Perhaps a goof cleaning with warm soapy water will reveal something more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a good washing like you suggested and take some more photos.

Is there anything specific I should try to capture?

Upvote 0

travelerga

Sep 22, 2013
Silkhope Ga
Detector(s) used
(currently, Lobo & AT Pro) whites 6DB, 6000, Fisher 5 zx, Tesoro Bandito micromax,Sand Shark, Tejon. Garret GT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like agatized coral. chert. probably dug out of a phosphate pit or from blasting a reef to make way for a road or waterway.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The road idea is very likely, my house is on the edge of a highway.

Thanks for your post.

Upvote 0

G.O.Eye

Feb 1, 2014
far south nevada
Detector(s) used
Elite 2200 Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My belief is that it's a mixture of many similar families, the structure does look of coral mixed with quartz small amounts more so quartzite agate chalcedony, seams like the salt and pepper rock is in there to or that can be dirt, I know you like the way it is but a precise slab cut could yield beauty. leave it the way the eye saw it nice catch.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I were to try to inspect the area in the top left of second photo, what tools and method? Any way to check it out and not wreck the rock totally?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread