Rocks found on beach.

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few rocks I need help identifying please.

image-2269132717.jpg

image-1343226932.jpg

Picture 2 , does not stick to magnet

image-2414910058.jpg

Both stick to magnet #3

image-3594546518.jpg

image-4032282087.jpg

Picture 4&5 same rock. Magnetic and has some rock protruding that reminds me of amber or garnet maybe?

image-424455161.jpg

#6 light weight and almost completely round

image-4150126157.jpg

image-3579968714.jpg

image-3755629895.jpg

Picture 8&9 same rock. To be honest it looks and feels like a tooth.

Jimick

Apr 14, 2014
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT since roughly 1998.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The magnetic ones may very possibly be meteorite and worth more than their weight in gold. That's if they are in fact meteorites.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Find a University nearby with a Geology Department, call the Professor and ask him or her if you can bring them by. They should be able to identify all of the rocks for you. If you can't make that happen, then search for a Rock/Gem Shop nearby and hopefully the folks running it will be knowledgeable enough to identify the rocks. Just be careful and wize or in other words, if they say that the rocks that might be meteorites are not meteorites but offer to purchase them, then decline and go somewhere else for identifcation.

Frank

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just taking a stab~
Picture one looks to be a quartz pebble inside of a concretion and a piece of rock crystal, quartz.
Picture two I cant really tell much~ maybe basalts. The rod like pieces are interesting~ wonder if they are glass. Possibly tektites.
Picture 3,4 and 5, in three the top piece may be a large bit of magnetite or hematite~ sorry doubt its meteorite in origin. The second bit with the glassy object in it is not meteorite either~ appears to be a chunk of degraded iron with broken glass in it, possibly slag. Keep in mind that people have been dumping trash in the ocean for a long time so something like that could have come from an old fire pit. Interesting bit though.
Pictures 6 and 7 look to be water worn coral though 7 maybe a conglomerate sandstone~ possibly with fossils.
The last pictures do appear to be a tooth or a bone of some sort and may be a fossil.

My thoughts.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The magnetic ones may very possibly be meteorite and worth more than their weight in gold. That's if they are in fact meteorites.

Many meteorites are worth a whole lot less than gold, a whole lot less. Like $50.00 for several ounces. Penny, the only way to tell if it is indeed a meteorite is to have it analyzed by someone who specializes in doing so. There are several university geology labs that do it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions