BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this in a small creek about 18" wide.

124_1656.JPG 124_1657.JPG 124_1658.JPG

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, I'll have to disagree.. on the Smokey Quartz aspect.. Appears to be a very dark Chalcedony I think it's technicality known as a dark grey chalcedony.. The one image where you're shining the light through it.. has a "chalkiness" appearance which is caused by the host Limestone and the Chalcedony or Thunder Egg's from Tennessee can be very dark gray, white, or cream colored..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting. It definitely has a chalkiness to it. I was told by an "expert" it was Smoky Quartz, but the small pieces of Smoky I've found around here have a lot more clarity.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a reference image for you:

DSC_0108.jpg
Image: This is a large shard from the fields of Tennessee.. Take note of the same dark grey areas and the layering of chalcedony and limestone..

I was able to spot at least 200+ that the cows simply broke open with their hooves while grassing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I can definitely see now after looking at images of both Smoky Quartz and Chalcedony why I could confuse the two.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm not expert.. thou I have had my share of failures.. one thing I can claim is the fields of Tennessee are full of Chalcedony.. and we go there ever chance we can seeing how my wife's aunt and uncle live there.

This isn't rocket science.. but it is hard to pin point what something is just from an image.. if your "expert" told you it was a smokey.. by all means.. listen to him/her.. I'm just offering my view point here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I just moved here to Tennessee a year ago and this is where I'm staying! A great place for rock hounds. I'm actually from Maryland as well, Stone.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
100_0223.JPG
Image: Root Beer Smokey Quartz (Conjoined Crystal Point)

Wasn't found.. was given as payment for helping others identify their crystals and stones.. This is how I get some of those better gems within my collection..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread