?? clear yellow

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could someone tell me if this is yellow quartz?

citrine 1.jpg citrine 2.jpg citrine 3.jpg

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Technically, it depends on if the color is present from inclusions or if it developed in the crystal lattice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to be that color all the way through. Looks like its original to the stone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to USGS Fork Mountain is aluminosilicate mica schist. Not that I know what that means. LOL I'll be honest we appear to have a little bit of everything.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a highly fractured bit of quartz. The yellowing is possibly just a light coloring making it a smoky quartz. Mica schists *no I'm not going to type that name out... try saying it really fast 3 times :tongue3:* exhibit a flat waxy lusture that borders on mirror like. A close look often shows flat scaly patterns like simple micas however the silicate versions are much harder. Kyanite is probably the most popular example of a alumsilicate mica because of its blue color and structure. A few examples:

alumsilicate mica.jpg kyanite.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful DD. We apparently have kyanite in this area also. Wish I could upload USGS report. We have some rocks with that sheen on them. Not sure wheat they are. Usually it's not the whole rock, but parts of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you G. I imagine these are fractured because we're just picking them up off the ground. We do have aluminum in the formation here. If you get on the USGS website look up the Fork Mountain formation. Something happened here eons ago. We've got rock that looks like it's melted. Will have to upload some pictures of it. We've been trying to decide where we want to dig. Right now, and dry creek bed is looking the best. Also at the running creek.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, check out both creeks. You may be surprised what you find in the dried up creek bed! -Luke

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully you're right!! Already found a big quartz boulder in the wall of the dry creek. It's white quartz with purple/red. Will see if I can get picture to upload. Having issues with my android.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, we're down below Roanoke, Ferrum, Va. In the foothills! Lots of rocks LOL. And trees and bears and deer and turkey. LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mica schist is an often over-looked rock.

Staurolite, Garnet, Kyanite and many other minerals can occur in there. If it is poor in quartz, some more valuable minerals to.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, There is staurolite not far from us at Fairy Stone Park. And we have so many garnets, I forget mention them. But they are all vey small. Hopefully we'll eventually find some big ones. Haven't heard of any kyanite but there may be some, supposed to be according to the USGS. Smoky quartz is what we have the most of.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread