yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a while ago, I posted a fairly substantial piece of rutilated quartz. It was a 2.5 x 3 inch terminated crystal which I had found in a nearby reservoir here in Central Virginia. Now, I knew that C. Va is a hell of a p[lace to find all forts of minerals, rocks, gems, but from everything I had read, this simply didn't make sense. I finally brought it to a local rock shop once I moved back down here last fall. I explained my question- and the circumstances under which I'd found it. He smiled. Yes. Brazilian rutilated quartz- polished and probably faceted WAY down south of the boarder... Case finally closed. HOWEVER, the question remains: What the hecky-darn was it doing in the reservoir??? All sorts of imaginative fiction could be drawn from that question. Here she is: Thanks for taking a look! Yakker

0128151151.jpg

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yakker that is real nice. I found a piece looks something like that inside but its a longer piece than yours and not square at all and weighs over 20 lbs. yours is beautiful and I don't see how it got there from Brazil or south of the border.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
There are Quartz specimens scattered throughout Virginia and it could have originated there. I'd get a second opinion.

Here is a resourceful link:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1072d/report.pdf

A nice, terminated Quartz specimen from Floyd County:

http://www.mindat.org/photo-614365.html

These large, high-quality Quartz specimens are formed from hydrothermal activity and are not associated with the Quartz veins of the regions host rock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few possibilities as to how it got there~ a young rock hound lost it, a memorial to someone or something, a piece of religious affect somehow forgotten. Just some thoughts :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've definitely thought of those things- and more- like a pissed off lover scorned... and more...
BB- I think the difference here is that mine is rutilated- which I'm still challenged to get a decent pic of. Yeah, we got a ton of quartz, crystals and all, but rutilated is another thing. And I scoured the territory nearby- and there was nada, zippo-nothing at all even close. If it had been natural, it would have fallen or been popped out of a vug or outcropping somewhere up from where it was found. All I could see was milky and massive stuff, a ton of crumbling granite and slippery greenstone. So... although I know rutilated quartz has been found in VA., not like this- and not in this condition. At least- not that I've been able to find- or see in someone else's site. Not this size or shape. Crazy. Totally crazy.
Thanks all for your input and ideas ;) Yakker

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread