Quartz: To crush or leave whole?

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a major vein or pocket of quartz here. I can not keep up with the amount in one single day or even hour that I can just see. Here are a few pics.
The big one was about two feet in the side of a washout and it was about 4 feet long. I unfortunately had to break it into 4 pieces. The others were from just walking around.
So should I leave it whole? The back and bottom of a majority have a cement like texture and veins that look like iron zigzagging through it.
The wife is getting mad because the garage and house has now become a rock paradise. Plus it doesnt help I have been cleaning them in her sink :)

Attachments

• 20150305_002404.jpg
    20150305_002404.jpg
    722.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 20150305_002421.jpg
    20150305_002421.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 118

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there visible gold in the quartz?

I'd say: Hell ya you want to crush a few and find out
if there's enough gold to make it worth the effort. If
there is marketable amounts of gold, you're wife won't
mind so much...:occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. It is a pain dragging those things to the house. As far as I can see no visible gold. The red clay is making it hard to wash but I may crush a few to see what comes out. Thanks for the response.

Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fun of the crush will help you exercise and you may enjoy a great surprise. Let the wife take out her frustrations with a couple of swings too.

Upvote 0

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as there are no terminated crystals on the specimens, I'd say go ahead and hammer away! Be on the lookout for some terminated smokies in and around the vein. Those large chunks of quartz are a great sign. Good luck and happy hunting! :headbang:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions