Diamonds

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You may have already visited the site below and read the entire stories and info which you have to page through but I will put it up for you and others to see.

The Lost Diamond Mine of the Pedernals

I have prospected for Diamonds at the Crater of Diamonds State Park and keep an eye out for them while Gold prospecting in North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia as a few Diamonds have been known to have been found due to the volcanic activity as well as the upheaval that created the Appalachian and Blue Ridge mountain chains.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Diamonds have been reported in western NM in the Buell Park area. Pyrope garnets also west in ant hills. The color was so good they were thought to be rubes. In 1909 a girl found a diamond near Tucumcari. 4 karat and a half diamonds were cut from it.
I don't know if the kimberlite at Buell Park was on the rez or not.
Jim From Idaho, a Tnet member, hunts diamonds and builds cool machines.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Diamonds have been reported in western NM in the Buell Park area. Pyrope garnets also west in ant hills. The color was so good they were thought to be rubes. In 1909 a girl found a diamond near Tucumcari. 4 karat and a half diamonds were cut from it.
I don't know if the kimberlite at Buell Park was on the rez or not.
Jim From Idaho, a Tnet member, hunts diamonds and builds cool machines.
LOL...many thanks. I guess they could put that on my headstone...Ha! I saw this thread, but don't know much about NM diamonds. One of my younger brothers lives at Los Lunas, but I've only been down there once. Didn't do any prospecting, however. I'd like to go down to NM, and look around. God knows, I've found enough pyrope, chromian diopside, and chromian enstatite in Wyoming to fill a wheelbarrow. Maybe I could find some in NM, too.
Jim

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just joined. Looking for folks interested in diamond propsecting. I have about 30 years experience in kimberlite/lamproite exploration. Looking for (unusual) leads for diamonds/kimberlite/lamproite/pyrope garnet that might occur in New Mexico. I have a few leads . . . .
I wish I was closer. I'd like to visit with you, and do some diamond prospecting. I'll be out looking in a few weeks. I've got a pretty good lead at a gold mine in SW Montana. This placer operation has been ongoing, off and on, for a hundred years. Way back, there were reports of diamonds found. But, after visiting with the current owner (since 1982), no effort to discover gems has been made. I'll be checking tailing piles this summer, using my jig.
Jim

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah...I don't get that. I've seen it alot. People come on a forum, and introduce themselves, then disappear. It's one of my pet peeves, but nothing to be done.
Jim

Upvote 0

Diamond-digger

May 28, 2015
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Old Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lets go Prospecting

Hey Mansker, You may not remember me but about a year or so ago i contacted you about kimberlite rock specimens. You also have met a really good friend of mine by the name of Mel, long bearded guy. I'm a geology professor here in Roswell and do a little prospecting on the side. A couple of months ago i was lucky enough to acquire the George Creek and Chicken Park kimberlites in Colorado. I do think that NM has some potential for some undiscovered kimberlites. I'm always game for the thrill of the chase when it comes to prospecting new ground. Lets do some prospecting. You can drop me a private note if you want. Happy trails, Frank

Upvote 0

Diamond-digger

May 28, 2015
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Old Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Buell Park and most if not all the kimberlites on the western side of NM are on the reservation. Raton has one small proven kimberlite blow on private property. There could be others nearby since kimberlites are social, they usually occur in groups. There are some odd ultra-mafics in the Zuni mountains that might be kimberlites. Years ago I heard about a discovery of kimberlite in the Black Range. it was kind of hush hush. It was tested but I don't think anything was found. Diamonds in New Mexico might be possible, just follow the indicators and spend lots of money to find it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread