Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is beautiful whatever it is.

IMG_20150401_062751_kindlephoto-18640715.jpg

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL@Shaman. Hang in there! It takes a long time and lots of wasted hours to finally get over hunting gems and start looking for things of value. I wasted 3 weeks once just east of Elijay Georgia when I found a small pipe of blueground about 30 feet in diameter. After some days of back breaking 10 hour shifts, I came away with a half pint mayonaise jar of diamonds thinking I was rich, only to find they were at best industrial grade. I gave the land owner his share which was about 1/2 a Gerber baby food jar and found out later he used them and all the holes I dug to con off the property to some "investor" out of Atlanta LMAO! I have since found other small pipes of blueground. There is one in a pasture about half way between Cleveland Tennessee and Dalton Georgia. I was not tempted to break out a shovel and seive :)

Here are 3 pieces of advice. 1. Look for rocks that are red, green, black and heavy! 2. Memorize and learn to recognise instantly: Hornblende, schists, granite, dolerite, prophyritic granite, kaolin and pyrites and chalcopyrites along with all forms of quartz. You can forget the rest as around these are your best bets to find gold, silver and platinum. 3. Learn these so you can avoid them like the plague: Diorites, jasper bars, and slates. They almost never contain gold.

And remember "A gold mine is just a hole in the ground, with a liar in the bottom of it" :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mitch! It's a major learning curve for sure. We live on a pretty much solid quartz mountain. I make jewelry so we are pretty much looking for gemstones for that and to sell as specimens. We for sure have smoky and rose.Also have a lot of clear gold color that I think may be citrine. We have a LOT of iron. And iron mines around here. Any information you can pass along is greatly appreciated! We live about 25 miles north of the NC border. In the middle of a mica shirt.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread