Best way to clean.

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430081126.404723.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430081142.595323.jpg

I have tried with a scrub brush and soap and water, no luck removing the heavier grey sediment. Any suggestions?

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears you have a stone containing fossils. The grey stuff would be fossil remains~ cleaning beyond this point will harm the material. Picking at it with a sharp scribe can probably free up some material and expose other fossils under the layers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great , thank you. I'll try and pick at it a little at a time. Was hoping some stones might be uncovered.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if the lightly acidic cleaning properties of Extra Virgin Olive Oil might loosen and help remove some of the heavier grey sediment??!! I have used it on Copper coins for many years to remove dirt, grime and encrustations and believe it would work on rocks as well. Even if it does not loosen and remove the sediment, it will probably stabilize the rock from decay and give it a nice appearance. If you decide to try Extra Virgin Olive Oil, afterward it's use, just rinse the rock with water then dry with a towel.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read where some use vinegar or lemon juice. Just not sure on that.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I read where some use vinegar or lemon juice. Just not sure on that.

Both vinegar and lemon juice are used on coins depending what they need but I think that they could be harmful to certain types of rocks, especially vinegar. However, I am not totally sure but you could do a test on a very small section of rock where it would not be noticed or noticed as much in case it is harmful.

Frank

Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would echo huntsman53's concerns about vinegar, I personally would not use vinegar or anything that acidic on a fossil specimen like that. Vinegar is great for cleaning off sediment like that but the fossil details could be eaten away in the process. Keep the vinegar around for a quartz/agate (for example) specimen that has sediment on it though, I have had excellent luck giving agates/quartz a vinegar bath to eliminate severe sediment.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread