Is it Jet stone?

Devayani

May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Have been looking for a place where i can get help in working with my stones, glad to have found this forum.

I have purchased a Jet massage wand from ebay but since i got it in my hand, i have my doubts. I do have a jet palm stone as well and when i compare these two, am very very sure that its not Jet. This massage wand feels heavy, while jet is supposed to be light weight. Tried a hot needle test and nothing happens to it. It shows a velvety luster with glitters on it surface when placed in bright sun light. It sounds like glass when i tap with my finger nails. All these suggest that it might be Black Obisidian, so i mailed the seller with all my doubts and he responds saying he is very confident that it is Jet. Am not satisfied though.

Could you please help me in confirming what this massage wand might be of? I am a Reiki Master and cant utilize this until am sure what this is made of. Appreciate all your help

Please let me know if the pics are not clear, will try few other.

Attachments

• 20150501_133753.jpg
    20150501_133753.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 79
  • 20150501_135948.jpg
    20150501_135948.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20150501_140100.jpg
    20150501_140100.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20150501_140102.jpg
    20150501_140102.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20150501_140121.jpg
    20150501_140121.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 77

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it looks like Jet, but try these test's.

When rubbed against unglazed porcelain, true jet will leave a chocolate brown streak. If rubbed, with silk cloth jet gets charged and should give off a static charge or may become magnetic and pick up small metal objects.

Also Jet should not be cool to the touch say compared to black glass.

Jet should be lighter then other black stones like Onyx or Obsidian due to the fact Jet in essence is of organic origin - merely a type of coal, which can be polished.

Jet is a variation of one particular type of coal - lignite.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Devayani

May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it looks like Jet, but try these test's.

When rubbed against unglazed porcelain, true jet will leave a chocolate brown streak. If rubbed, with silk cloth jet gets charged and should give off a static charge or may become magnetic and pick up small metal objects.

Also Jet should not be cool to the touch say compared to black glass.

Jet should be lighter then other black stones like Onyx or Obsidian due to the fact Jet in essence is of organic origin - merely a type of coal, which can be polished.

Jet is a variation of one particular type of coal - lignite.

Thank you Las Vegas Bob. Since i already have a jet palm stone, i did the tests on both. Here are the results.

The jet palm stone left a brown streak where as this wand didnt leave any mark. The wand felt cold than the jet palm stone.
What i feel is that might be the seller is confused about it being a type of coal, which jet is. Can it be any other variety of coal, for suppose, anthracite coal or shungite.

And the weight of this 6 inch massage wand is around .75 pounds. And i put both of them near a candle flame, and they both smelled differently. So definitely its not Jet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the seller has a return policy I would use it and try to get your wand from another source, I suspect you do not have Jet from the sounds of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Devayani

May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Las Vegas Bob. Will see what i can do about it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Devayani

May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Rasputin, black glass did cross my mind. Let me see what i can do with this.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread