argentiferous galena?

Ragoo138

Apr 30, 2015
Pen Argyl,Pa/Phillipsburg,Nj
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a handfull of these along the Deleware River...since the water is so low ..i had to hunt.
I swear there are letters/words all over this piece.
Swear it says Legal Tender. And i am finding the #13 on most pieces....I'm curious why i cannot find these in my researching? At least none with Legal Tender stamped on them

Attachments

• 1431587852124.jpg
    1431587852124.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 1431587890515.jpg
    1431587890515.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 1431587951570.jpg
    1431587951570.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 79

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are any number of reasons why people see what they see with regards to rocks that they find-- either concerning the shape or the surface. I cannot address the science of the brain. Suffice it to say, the brain can and will make every attempt to put objects into categories, whether in language/letters/numbers or any other identifiable realm- faces, animal or human (or other) body form.

People's belief systems and faith are very hard things to 'argue down' to those who insist on believing what they believe. Explaining the science of geology, tectonics, erosion is impossible if the person hearing or reading the explanation does not wish to understand.

What you have is a rock composed of 2 (or more) different rocks/minerals which have eroded at different paces. You are finding no research because no one has ever found a pre-historic artifact containing both Arabic numerals and the English language. If you want to believe it, you are the first to discover such a thing, and this may be ground-breaking in terms of scientific study.

I suggest you take it to a reputable nearby university or museum and show them what you have found.

Beyond that, it's a cool-looking little rock, and I'd have picked it up too, if not for the same reason(s). My personal belief is that there is much beauty- and even intrigue- in all of nature.

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umm... I guess you could check it with a metal detector. Do a scratch test, do a specific gravity test...
or you could just keep believing what you want to. 'Pieces of Eight' do not say 'legal tender' on them, nor do they contain the number '13'...

Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pieces of Eight would at least resemble a part of a coin even in the worst of shape. Pieces of Eight were coins that would get cut in to 8 roughly equal pieces so they could trade parts of the coin. What you have posted a picture of appears to be a pretty and interesting rock to me. As yakker says, there are tests that can help identify a rock. You could also check if it is attracted to a magnet (if you hang one on a string you can tell if there is even slight attraction) in addition to those. Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ragoo138

Ragoo138

Apr 30, 2015
Pen Argyl,Pa/Phillipsburg,Nj
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wrong about the lettering....I have researched more and analyzed more...i believe its a silver cob.
Maybe not this exact one...still trying to get some detail from my find

Attachments

• 1431668639875.jpg
    1431668639875.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good heavens, you've done quite a bit of research, haven't you?!
Now test it with a metal detector to find out!

I could save you a little time, but you have to pay attention-- and believe me. It's an interesting rock. Just a rock. I'm sorry to have to let you down.

Upvote 0

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The top picture looks like it has a face in it. You might want to make sure.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely a feldspar cross. Interesting picture rock.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread