found this rock

Jun 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there. I work in Cedar Rapids IA and found this stone today. Can someone tell me what it is? Thanks. 20150622_132947.jpg

OP
OP
S
Jun 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add:
It has a shiny gold surface, which the picture doesnt really show. It has numerous points and jagged edges and is much heavier than another rock of the same size found in the same yard. I am pretty sure its not gold (99.9999%) but am interested to know for sure. This is not the first time something like this has been found in our substations. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking iron pyrite, but I'm no pro ;-) I don't see any oxidation which would usually be seen with exposed iron but who knows. Better quality and close-up photos would help tho.

Also, if the host rock is limestone, that may be yellow/brown calcite. Check the hardness with a penny and see which one gets scratched.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. After reading your posts I looked up pictures for iron pyrite and its pretty much identical. Ill put it on the shelf with the collection of shell fossils I have found in our yards. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait!!! Don't just take our word for it. Take it to a rock shop, college geology dept., museum, jeweler and just ask. We have seen a bunch, but as I get older, I realize I ain't that smart...

Upvote 0

michellegloster0

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can buy a gold testing kit for under 10$ amazon.com rub the metal on the paper and put solution on it if it turns the right color its gold. Helps to have the kit if your getting jewelry on your hunts.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread