Im a girl... I dont know what Im doing. Help.

Lala

Aug 24, 2015
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
My 6th sense. No seriously. I just use my intuition.
My dad has the metal detector. No clue what brand it is. You think he's gonna let me play around with it? NOPE.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a girl... I don't know what I'm doing. Help.

A few things.... I want to search for crystals and gems. I love gold and stuff. Sure. I'll sift through and pan the stuff I go through to find other treasure and stuff. Yes. It's not the main thing I'm looking for.

My big thing is- How do I find crystals and gems?
I really really really really want to find them. So bad.
And I don't wanna go to a dig your own crystals mine and do it myself and pay to do it. I want to... Find them on my own. Validate myself... Feel like a real functional cave woman... Use a shovel and get my hands dirty... then come back on here and brag about it to you guys. You guys can help me right? Pretty please?
I don't use a metal detector... I live by a lake on a steep hill.... Tons of rocks and red clay. Can anybody help me?

Also. I need help identifying some rocks and nobody is responding to my post as of yet.
I really need help Identifying these (They're on my page in their own album) I need to know the minerals around the place I'm digging...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lala , You've come to a great site here to get knowledge about your gem and crystal quest - there are lot's of rock hounds here !
I've heard that North Caroline is chock full of gemstones , I know nothing about the geology relating to Georgia . I grew up in
Montana -( arguably one of the best states to go looking for gems ). I used to pan a little gold , look for arrowheads , fossils ,
various other gems - garnet ,agates , geodes . Welcome to a grand adventure ! and Welcome to Treasurenet !!! You'll get
lot's of information about your state from others who live in your area . Of course check your local library , and do internet
research about where to go ,and what may be found through out Georgia ! Happy Hunting ! ( Let us know when you are
about to go on an adventure ! )

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lala

Aug 24, 2015
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
My dad has the metal detector. No clue what brand it is. You think he's gonna let me play around with it? NOPE.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

beep beep dig

Aug 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know you said you don't want to go to a "dig your own crystals mine" however there is a great and cheap mine just over the SC border that is 100% DIY. i would recommend going for the experience gained digging gems since you pretty much have to do all the work and nothing is seeded. the experience gained there can then be used later on your own.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beep beep dig, Are you talking about Diamond Hill Crystal Mine in Abbeville, SC? I've been there a couple of times and got lots of crystals. Last time that I was there, it cost $15 a day for all you could dig. Just over the border from there is Graves Mountain in Lincolnton Georgia for Rutile, Quartz crystal, and lots more.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, I highly recommend you watch your humor when it comes to our female guests.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lala

Aug 24, 2015
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, Jeff knows who I mean...post was deleted so his name is not visible.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lala, Do you know where Homer, Georgia is? I planted pine trees on a site in Homer 28 years ago that was covered with milky quartz crystals. I brought home two 5 gallon buckets full that were surface finds. Some were almost 4 inches long and an inch and a half across. All but the smallest ones were milky. I haven't been back since but still have directions to the site. It would be private property, so you would have to ask around to get permission. Private message me for directions. There also used to be a KOA campground near there where you could dig beryl crystals. Also check out Graves Mountain online. It is an amazing place with big rutile.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lala

Aug 24, 2015
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lala, Do you know where Homer, Georgia is? I planted pine trees on a site in Homer 28 years ago that was covered with milky quartz crystals. I brought home two 5 gallon buckets full that were surface finds. Some were almost 4 inches long and an inch and a half across. All but the smallest ones were milky. I haven't been back since but still have directions to the site. It would be private property, so you would have to ask around to get permission. Private message me for directions. There also used to be a KOA campground near there where you could dig beryl crystals. Also check out Graves Mountain online. It is an amazing place with big rutile.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hogg mine is another place for beryl. Rose quartz, black tourmaline(?). Cool place! But I understand wanting to dig and find your own! We are wanting to do the same. Plenty of quartz in GA! :laughing7:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lala

Aug 24, 2015
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hogg mine is another place for beryl. Rose quartz, black tourmaline(?). Cool place! But I understand wanting to dig and find your own! We are wanting to do the same. Plenty of quartz in GA! :laughing7:

Yaas! I think I just love the unknown explorer part too!

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to totally do it yourself,head to the mountains.

across the line in Alabama a guy showed me some he was finding in ditches and road cuts!He had some cool stuff! He drives down the back roads and looks for potential spots, I guess!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lala

Aug 24, 2015
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to totally do it yourself,head to the mountains.

Um. Eek. I'm at the bottom of the Piedmont and Blue Ridge area. It's a bit of a trek. I went on this field trip to Dehlonega (sp) when I was younger. I pretty much was disappointed with it. I didn't find anything cool at all.

If I have a reason to head that way I will definitely go. You gotta be careful in GA... I mean. Have you seen deliverance? I kid. I kid. They play a mean banjo.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread