Need help figuring the puzzle out

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, as many know I have been on a diamond kick and I have spent time doing research on the area and the possibility of the area being kimberlite or lamproite or a basalt rock. I know they are in the area and mountains of NC. The area I am looking at is about 7 acres and has a creek that seems to be natural fed. Some of the area is exposed and I have been finding some very nice looking rock along with a lava rock that is very dense. There are also rock that looks as if it is cemented with various stone and mineral.
Looking at the pictures can anyone say what it maybe? I know the stuff is extremely hard, has a white dust to it and contains white string stuff (asbestos maybe?) On some there is some quartz on the top and it looks as if there are veins running through some. I have a few pieces that have a greenish mineral on the bottom that could be serpentine(?) It sparkles and is soft. It can be gouged with a knife.
My thinking is this area could have been volcanic and just never really looked in to. I have spent countless nights reading and looking things up. I would love to see this be true. The stones I have found are beautiful and I would honestly have them cut and used for jewelry and give them to my daughters. I would much rather see them have the gems than sell them.
Take a look and tell me what yall think.

Attachments

• 20150904_193028.jpg
    20150904_193028.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 79
  • 20150904_193120.jpg
    20150904_193120.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 87

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is serpentine , the white stringy stuff would probably be asbestos. Serpentine is very soft

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
The first is a rock. Looks like quartzite.
The second is a mineral. Do a hardness test. Can it be scratched by a piece of quartz?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done some test on a few pieces but the bigger piece has me baffled. I found the top photo piece in a big vein. Some have small quartz on them and a few have serpentine stuff on them. The serpentine is very soft and can be scratched with a knife or screwdriver. I am trying to understand the geology out here and it is really like a big puzzle to me.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The first one looks like a fine grained granitoid.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread