Western Montana Chalcocite?

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Masons rock 005.jpg Masons rock 006.jpg Masons rock 007.jpg Masons rock 008.jpg Masons rock 009.jpg My friend built a road on his property West of Missoula, MT and came across some very narrow veins in the slide rock. I have been told that it could be Chalcocite which is a copper ore and would like another opinion or confirmation. I have looked at pictures and some found around Butte looks similar. Odd looking stuff for copper. Any ideas? Very hard and non magnetic. Thanks

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks more like galena or lead to me, but you say it is hard, and galena and lead are soft. I have alot of mine samples from here in Butte, but my Chalcocite does not look like that. I am however not an expert. Take it for what that's worth, lol! You could try to have it assayed, then you would know for sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. We Montanan's need to get together sometime and swap stories.

Upvote 0

Dragontomb

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure wish I could find a nice piece of sulphide ore like you got there. Fun to identify and figure out. There aren't many massive sulphide deposits in BC, especially with the copper sulphide concentration. Maybe there is enargite mixed in there as well.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd also think Galena. Can a knife scratch it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it won't scratch and the vein is very thin. What you see is all there is on this specimen. I'll ask my friend if there are thicker veins this spring.

Upvote 0

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that too on my property. Glacial deposited here of course. It's sandstone with iron oxide, I was told by a mineralogist that's how it grows.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Iron oxide (hematite or magnetite) don't show cleavage like this particular specimen.

There are not a whole lot of minerals I can think of that look like this and aren't scratched by a knife. Ilmenite might be a possibility.
Could you do a streak test?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread