Where can I learn to cut and facet stones in Western NC?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's not a really difficult skill to teach yourself. I've done some very nice stones, and I've never had a class, or anybody to teach me. Get on Youtuibe, and watch some gem-cutting videos. Get yourself a decent brand of machine, a bunch of quartz for practice, and get started.
I bought a used Raytech-Shaw faceter, and it works fine. Cost me $400 including a bunch of diamond laps of various grits.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jentheartist

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thank you Jim. I'll check around for a used machine then. I have watched some of the You Tube vids - that's what got me really interested in trying to do it myself.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Better yet - get some garnets for practice - they are easier then quartz. But still make a wonderful gem.

Upvote 0

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check in Spruce Pine, The Rio Doce Gem Shop used to offer classes when Jerry Call owned it. There are new owners there now so not sure if they do or not.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jentheartist

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks - will do - that's pretty close to me! I'd like to try some before I buy the machine ;)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions