Removing smoke damage from collection?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since rocks are mother natures gems I would assume water but I am not an expert. I would probably use a little dawn dish soap too.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try water and soap first. That might very well be enough. :)

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for your loss. You have to be careful and know what the rock sample is.....some rock samples don't like water (will absorb it and break down). Soap will have a difficult time removing smoke. If the sample can handle it, TSP might be worth a try. Otherwise, I would visit a fireplace store and get their glass cleaner which is specially designed to remove wood smoke and creosote from hard surfaces including metal and glass. The problem of course with a house fire is there probably was all kinds of nasty stuff (plastic, rubber, etc) in the smoke film.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The basics are pretty much covered. Depending on what minerals you have and the amount of heat damage/smoke discoloration some if not all should be pretty well salvageable. If ya have some pics and know what minerals your trying to recover there might be other ideas. Sorry for your loss~ its a pain I know from experience.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

KentuckyBotryoidal

Oct 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry for not responding! No house means no internet! I cant post pictures anytime soon but a few of the major pieces are agate. I got a lot of the nasty off with a dawn soap/vinegar soak. My biggest trouble now has to be my geodes and "anything but flat" pieces. scrubbing the cracks and crevices is a right pain. Thanks guys =D

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm with placergold on the TSP, also try oxalic acid but research if the mineral you're using it on can handle it. If the geodes are mostly silicates it should be fine. DO NOT use it on anything with limestone/calcite/dolomotic specimens (same goes for vinegar).

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear your gettting things back in order after that ordeal. :)

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sometimes clean small rocks with a kid's electric toothbrush and it works pretty well. I always wanted to try one of the old water pic devices and am keeping my eyes open for a used one. I bet that would work well too.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread