What could this be? Man-made or natural?

auts27

Apr 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!

I discovered this tubular, small rock a few years ago and stumbled across it just recently emptying some boxes, when it struck me that I really don't know much about it.

It is approximately 3cm long and 1cm in diameter. Both ends are uneven but one is smoothed/eroded/soft and the other feels quite sharp and fractured. The wall is of uniform thickness (~ 2-3mm). I know nothing about rocks or metals so I cannot tell you much about the material, except that it is solid and hard. The surface is not rough but also not perfectly smooth... perhaps textured/split/broken but smoothed.

I found the object in an Italian riverbed (probably caused smoothness of surface and one end through erosion); I will not disclose the exact location for now.

I speculated whether it was part of some sort of man-made tubing/ducting system but the material seems somewhat unusual and perhaps outdated for such a purpose (could it be an old lead pipe?? I doubt this, but wouldn't rule it out). The tubular shape of my rock initially led me to believe it could not have been formed by nature, especially due to the uniformity of the opening and the interior but perhaps the rock contained something which may have rotted over time, such as wood? Is this possible?

I'm very curious about your thoughts/ideas/suggestions! Please ask about extra detail.

- S

Attachments

• DSC_0310.JPG
    DSC_0310.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0312.JPG
    DSC_0312.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 113

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A slightly worn soda straw stalagmite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

auts27

Apr 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A slightly worn soda straw stalagmite.

That's interesting, thanks! How sure are you? After researching soda straws online I can definitely see where the tubular shape may come from but to me, although I have little experience, the material of my find doesn't seem to show much resemblance to calcite (which is what they are usually made of, I believe...). Unless the appearance is due to wear and erosion? Thanks! :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought soda straw also. What's the diameter?
A simple test for calcite is HCl or even vinegar.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks man-made to me. It would be very simple to make - just take come clay, roll it flat like a baker working dough, then roll into a tube. Heat it dry with fire and you end up with a tube that can be used for, say, a water catchment system? Maybe was part of a trip mechanism for an ordinance device? Maybe it was part of an old rudimentary funnel. Did you look for any more parts in the area? Do you even remember the exact location where you found it? Might be worth going back to look for more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

auts27

Apr 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought soda straw also. What's the diameter?
A simple test for calcite is HCl or even vinegar.

It's just less than 1cm in diameter. Thanks for the suggestion, I thought about doing some kind of test too. I will try vinegar tomorrow and post results :). It may also be worth pointing out that at the fractured end, one can recognise the material seems to be layered. Could this be a soda straw feature?

Looks man-made to me. It would be very simple to make - just take come clay, roll it flat like a baker working dough, then roll into a tube. Heat it dry with fire and you end up with a tube that can be used for, say, a water catchment system? Maybe was part of a trip mechanism for an ordinance device? Maybe it was part of an old rudimentary funnel. Did you look for any more parts in the area? Do you even remember the exact location where you found it? Might be worth going back to look for more.

This is what I thought initially. Unfortunately I cannot return to look for more (I wish I would have at the time!) as this was some years ago on holiday. I do remember the exact location where I found it, which is where things get really interesting :D ...It was in an Italian riverbed flowing through the ancient Etruscan town of Vulci. It is a major archaeological site, although the exact location of my find was a little further from the excavations and main part of the town.

Petrified bone maybe with the marrow "taken" out? :dontknow:

Interesting idea! Quite possible, although I think the tube is too uniform in diameter and thickness to be a petrified bone... But who knows!

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The specimen is a bit worn, probably flushed out of a cave. I have several small samples myself. The layering in the jagged end and the choking of the front end as well as its smoothness are what identify it to me. Raw specimens often have some crystallization on the exterior but as said that ones been worn a bit. Considering the size you reported its fairly heavy walled and thus was able to survive its wear. Most specimens have to be collected directly from caves or vugs as they are usually much more fragile.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that is a not uncommon form and 100% natural. I find them in ancient clay and rock all the time. for me they are most often the remnants of a burrowing creature's network of tubes...but they can be many things.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Most soda straws I've found in caves are about the diameter you mention( .4 inch) but could be most any size
and do build up over time eventually forming a stalactite. I've seen where many are being formed all at once.
One of the things a caver loks forward to seeing.
They are fragile and a caver has to be careful not to knock them down with their helmet.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread