tips and tricks

GoldDiggerDon

Greenie
Apr 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I have been collecting rocks and minerals for a while now. I usually find most of mine in the local creeks and such in my area and other areas. I am from Pa and want to start locating some quartz. However I have no idea where to start to look. Going to the creek is easy and all I have to do is pan for gold and i find some.

Anyway does any one have any advice on what to look for or where one should look to locate quartz or other minerals.

Say for instance i am wondering threw the wilderness and come up on a rock face or something similar what should i look for to give me hints that there may be quartz in that area.

Or is it a matter of dig dig dig ohhhh nothing here.

can someone point me in the right direction as to where to start and to what I should be looking for. any and all mineral collected here.

thank you all.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd start in a book; "Prospecting for gemstones and minerals" John Sinkankas. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GoldDiggerDon

Greenie
Apr 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start in a book; "Prospecting for gemstones and minerals" John Sinkankas. :)

Thank you for the reply and the resource. I have already ordered a few books. Personally I hate to read.

Anyway, I have searched many places on google and it seem no one wants to share how to or any tips. They arent or do not seem to be found online. Which I find really strange.

Seems like everyone has a vested interest in books for prospecting.
What I am really surprised about is that no one replied with any information on this subject. People seem to act like it is a trade secret or something.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's not a trade secret, but rather a topic to big and wide to cover in just a few pages - much less forum posts - it needs a book to go into any detail.
And detail is useful to grasp the whole thing. What your looking for, I'm guessing, is in a whole written down in that book.
But on the internet, spread out in geological reports few newbies are likely to understand.

Books aren't necessary, if you can find someone more experienced to hang out with. Rock clubs? Amateur geologist associations/groups?
I've had a few newbies under my arms during the years, even held courses in geology for newbies.

You can try locating the source for the quartz in the creeks, but that implies some basic knowledge of the geology.
Since I'm guessing PA was hit during the last ice age, just like Sweden.

Using geological maps or satellite images to find rock outcrops on the other hand is easy. Not sure if geo maps are available free from USGS?
Quarries are a superb place to go, as well as old abandoned mines, even sandpits and a screen can give up a nice find or two.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GoldDiggerDon

Greenie
Apr 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your reply. It is appreciated. I do have a few books on the way.

I was just looking for a place to start is all. Something I could look for on my walks and adventures. I am out and about daily.

I have this one location I head to to find my creek quartz. Just about every stone you touch is quartz. (Others there to)but it's almost like the area is nothing but quartz.

I pan for gold frequently. This place when I take a scoop of dirt to pan out is loaded with quartz. The bottom of the creek is more sand then it is rock. So I know there is a massive amount of quartz somewhere up stream. This creek flows from a pond a few miles up from the mouth of the river. So somewhere between the mouth of the creek to the pond is a large area of quartz I would have to guess.

Thoughts on this?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see. I usually go the opposite way, I go out and see what I find. Kind of like prospecting.

As for the quartz, also look sideways into the banks of the creek. Not only upstream, If its flushed out from the banks.

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps, look up "vug" with whatever keyword you choose. If you want to see some good videos from a fellow who rockhounds in Ontario, on Youtube, look for caver461. PA is not far away, so perhaps some of the things he does will be of use to you....or come on up to Bancroft, where that fellow tends to concentrate his searches.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GoldDiggerDon

Greenie
Apr 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps, look up "vug" with whatever keyword you choose. If you want to see some good videos from a fellow who rockhounds in Ontario, on Youtube, look for caver461. PA is not far away, so perhaps some of the things he does will be of use to you....or come on up to Bancroft, where that fellow tends to concentrate his searches.

Thank you guys for the replies. I have ordered more books. So that makes 3 on their way.

I will look up this guy in youtube and see what he has that I can learn from.

Ill have to look up Bancroft. Curious about the area.

Has anyone heard about McAdoo, Pa? I hear many people go there to look for quartz. Its a coal mining town and I guess hundreds and hundreds of carats have been found there. Was thinking of heading down there and scout around a little.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread