Cool looking Michigan Jasper?

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wondering what you guys think...seems to be a jasper due to the coloring, microcrystalline structure, banding and conchoidal fractures but I've never seen a jasper anything like this one in Michigan. Shouldn't be too surprising since this thing (like most other stones in MI) probably rode a massive glacial wave down from the Canadian Shield or God knows where else...

I know EricTheCat is from the western UP in MI (edit: just saw ur profile for MN which would explain all the Lake Superior Agates u find ;) ), if you're reading this Eric, you see Jaspers like this up there? That was my first guess due to all the iron/hematite looking banding in it...plus the little agate intrusion was a nice surprise after cutting into this thing 8-)

20160424_194104.jpg 20160424_194136.jpg 20160424_194153.jpg 20160424_194201.jpg

Last edited:

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know EricTheCat is from the western UP in MI (edit: just saw ur profile for MN which would explain all the Lake Superior Agates u find ;) ), if you're reading this Eric, you see Jaspers like this up there? That was my first guess due to all the iron/hematite looking banding in it...plus the little agate intrusion was a nice surprise after cutting into this thing 8-)

Greetings. Nice piece and I like the surface you exposed when you cut that one. Yes I am in Southern MN but the gracious glaciers littered the landscape here with all sorts of interesting rock from up North, including the agates I find. I do find a lot of jaspers and cherts. Here are a few pics of one I have that is very similar to yours that I found in my yard. Not as many colors and certainly not as picturesque as the one you have. It has similar banding and similar pockets of quartz/agate. Given the fracture I always considered it some form of jasper.

Rock-Img_0792SSS.jpg

Rock-Img_0794SSS.jpg

Rock-Img_0795SSS.jpg

Rock-Img_0796SSS.jpg

Rock-Img_0797SSS.jpg

A white-throated sparrow decided to come visit while I was taking pics of the rock, so I'm including that. :)

WhiteThroatedSparrow-2016-04-26-Img_0804SSS.jpg

Happy hunting.

Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx for the pics Eric, that's a pretty sweet looking jaspilite there. And the sparrow was a nice touch too :D

I found mine after mowing the lawn a few years ago. I knew I hit a rock at a dip with the riding mower so I came back to move the rock and realized it was worthy of keeping. I also found a nice small agate once while mowing, just sitting there glowing in the sun by my house. It blew my mind because I scour my yard and even that spot of gravel regularly and there it was just sitting on top.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Funny you say that because I don't know how many great rocks (the one in this thread included) I've walked past and thought nothing of em. I found this one at one of my "honey holes", basically a gravel dump, noticed it a couple times and just left it there. Bought a 10" slab saw last year, saw it last week and figured it would be a good test subject for the saw. Was quite happy with the results!

That Jasper of yours would cut up quite nicely ;-) you ever check it for magnetism? Looks like definitely hematite and variable iron oxides, but I'll bet it's rich in magnetite too

Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it weakly attracts a magnet on parts so there is iron but it does not seem magnetic. I have a 6" saw, so I could cut it. I also have a good number of agates that could use a cut too. One of these days I will get the bug to cut and polish some of them. I have had a lot of good luck with the ones I have cut with nice surprises. I hope you continue to find some nice hidden treasures with your saw. You might like a few I cut open and posted here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/rocks-gems/352409-hidden-treasures.html

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, it weakly attracts a magnet on parts so there is iron but it does not seem magnetic. I have a 6" saw, so I could cut it. I also have a good number of agates that could use a cut too. One of these days I will get the bug to cut and polish some of them. I have had a lot of good luck with the ones I have cut with nice surprises. I hope you continue to find some nice hidden treasures with your saw. You might like a few I cut open and posted here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/rocks-gems/352409-hidden-treasures.html

wOw! those agates are gorgeous...I'm hoping to get to the western U.P. this summer. It's about a 6-8 hour trip from where I live but it'll be worth it...gonna look for some good porous basalt to bring home and see if I can hack a chlorastralite or thomsonite out of some

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions