gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN2606.JPG DSCN2607.JPG I got a request for some simple single stone necklaces with blue stones, my choice of materials. Although I really don't like making plain oval cabs I sometimes have to honor requests, so these five turned out alright. Lapis, azurite/malachite that has silica saturation, chrysocolla/malachite also with some silica saturation, labradorite, and a variscite even though it's not blue. Light wasn't optimum for pics, but I like to get at least an idea of my work photoed. Oh, they are approximately 20x15mm and I hand held them, did not use a dop stick.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That is some nice work. I always thought that folks who did that had a great skill. Man I get frustrated polishing weapon parts, let me try a stone and I would loose a finger.

Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice work, thanks for sharing. Having hand held polished small stones myself I find it impressive you were able to hold on to those pieces.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice stones. Yes, pretty small for hand-held. My fingers don't like such small pieces!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some nice work. I always thought that folks who did that had a great skill. Man I get frustrated polishing weapon parts, let me try a stone and I would loose a finger.

Actually we grind and sand with diamond belts and wheels that run in a water bath and it is extremely hard to cut yourself while doing lapidary work. The diamond saws have no teeth, run in either an oil or water bath and one can actually touch a running blade edge and not cut oneself. The belts I use are mounted on expando drums and unless you stick your finger down along side the spinning drum they won't bite you.

Thank you all for your compliments.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the nice words. Eu, I use Linde A for a final polish after the last wheel which is a 14,000 Nova.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread