Drilling and turning petrified wood

TNC

Tenderfoot
Jun 13, 2016
Iwakuni, Japan
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings everyone! I have a unique project and could really use some expert advice. First, I'm a woodworker who really enjoys making pens. How that connects to this forum is that I'm researching ways to use petrified wood as the material for a pen. So far I'm golden on how to cut the stock pieces, but where I'm still lacking in certainty is drilling and turning.

What I've found is that a diamond coated sintered core bit is the best way to go for drilling, with good water flow for cooling and evacuation. Does anyone have any other ideas/recommendations for that?

Secondly, for the actual turning process. I know a steel chisel is almost guaranteed not going to cut it (sorry, bad pun). I have carbide tipped chisels, but again I'm uncertain if that would destroy the cutting edge or possibly shatter the stone. Would it be best to use diamond grit files and simply shave down the stock piece, "wet sand" as it were?
???
Any and all advice is both welcome and appreciated. Thanks for reading!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You're very welcome. But ya see, there's a bit of a catch. Our help and info ain't free, ya know! No, sirree! You gotta pay!!

You have to be "active" on the forum every single week for the next 5 years! :wink:

ROFL - Copy.gif

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
In light of that, we accept cash (only American), bank check, Am Ex, Visa, and some traveler's checks. :occasion14:

Hope everything works out great!!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can get diamond grinding wheels quite cheap. The whole set I talked about might be about 200$ if you get Chinese stuff. Search "Diamond Grinding wheel".
Even flatlaps can be used for the actual grinding. I'd then mount/glue the to-be pen on a metal stick and put it in a (hand held) drill, which would help getting it perfectly round. :)
A vertical flatlap could be built cheaply and rather easy.

What ever product you get; make sure it can run with water.
Not all diamond products are made the same. (especially if run on a machine)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread