What could this odd excavation be from my backyard?

T-Bird

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! My husband dug this 'rock' out of our backyard several years ago, and I'm wondering if anyone might have any inkling of what it might be. (I also posted it on the fossil forum because it seems to have fossil properties, such as the spine-like formation on one side.)

The rock measures approximately 12"-14" across, both ways.

rock1.jpg rock2.jpg rock3.jpg

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you live? (without personal details) Knowing the area it comes from can help someone to identify the geology of where you are living. This is just a guess from me and my terminology may be way off, but it kind of looks like some kind of silica-based stone. The "lines" could be from the materials in the stone were compressed, or they could very well be casts of something. Very hard to say! Need more info!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T-Bird

T-Bird

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you live? (without personal details) Knowing the area it comes from can help someone to identify the geology of where you are living. This is just a guess from me and my terminology may be way off, but it kind of looks like some kind of silica-based stone. The "lines" could be from the materials in the stone were compressed, or they could very well be casts of something. Very hard to say! Need more info!!!
I live in southeastern Wisconsin, near Milwaukee. When we found the rock, I checked to see if we're in a native American effigy mound belt, which we are, btw.<br />
<br />

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what it is but its Very interesting. Cool find!

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You might want to put a little vinegar on a part of it to see if it fizzes. I've seen calcite in caves that take on odd shapes
similar to your rock.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread