Did I find something special?

DBBTreasure

Jul 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking and helping!

I found two rocks in the Silverton, CO area at about 10,000ā€™. They are interesting to me because of the greenish-blue color, the striking change in color at the border and the specks of gold throughout the greenish-blue part of the stone. The coloration is quite different than what I have seen in the area. The pictures on my monitor seem to replicate the color well. It seems to me that it is not a ā€˜naturalā€™ color ā€“ the color looks more like paint (which of course it isnā€™t since it goes through the stoneā€™s cross section). I suspect the gold is instead pyrite since the flecks are square looking crystals and not seemingly soft. The side view picture shows that the rock can be scored. The specific gravity is 2.48. When the two rocks are mated together (last 2 pics), they form what looks like one quarter of an oblong geode (ie with a brown outer cover and a solid greenish-blue inner core).

What do you think? Could it be a meteorite since the outer covering is a different color? Or is it sedimentary ā€“ both the greenish-blue and the brown parts? What could the greenish-blue part be? Is it really pyrite? Would polishing do anything to bring out the colors?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Doug

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    583.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Font2.jpg
    Font2.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Side (2).jpg
    Side (2).jpg
    561 KB · Views: 103
  • Closeup.jpg
    Closeup.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Both Together.jpg
    Both Together.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Both Together2.jpg
    Both Together2.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
D

DBBTreasure

Jul 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody have ANY ideas?

Just wondering if anybody can give me direction...........

Thanks again for anything you can add.

Doug

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could very well be basalt. That colours vary slightly is natural. Weathering can make these changes more dramatic. The "golden" specks are likely pyrite.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread