Cutting agates

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the cutting depth? Usually with a 7" it is only 1-2" tops...that right there could severely restrict you. For cutting slabs and polishing just the flat faces, you'll need a flat lap too. The blade will not polish the face by itself, it will give the face about a 60-80 grit buff and you need to work agates to at least 600-800 grit and preferably 1200+.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the cutting depth? Usually with a 7" it is only 1-2" tops...that right there could severely restrict you. For cutting slabs and polishing just the flat faces, you'll need a flat lap too. The blade will not polish the face by itself, it will give the face about a 60-80 grit buff and you need to work agates to at least 600-800 grit and preferably 1200+.

Correct, the depth is only a few inches. I've cut a few , what I thought were agates, but it was very dull with no to little Banding. Not sure if that is normal and I need to go ahead and start the polishing phase go see.

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually, when the slice is wet, it will look like it is polished and then get dull when dry. If you are doing a few stones, you can rub/polish them on wet, extremely fine, sandpaper if you don't have a flat lap. I am shopping for a vibrating flat lap right now - - Darn things are expensive, but oh so handy. However, if the banding is not there, no amount of polishing will make banding appear.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually, when the slice is wet, it will look like it is polished and then get dull when dry. If you are doing a few stones, you can rub/polish them on wet, extremely fine, sandpaper if you don't have a flat lap. I am shopping for a vibrating flat lap right now - - Darn things are expensive, but oh so handy. However, if the banding is not there, no amount of polishing will make banding appear.

I see the banding before cutting but once I cut it open there is no banding. I'm assuming I'm not cutting where and how I need to . It's a learning experience.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very hard to say what's going on here without seeing a before-after pic. Then maybe we could get to helping you save the banding. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread