Is it a rock, glass, or priceless gem?

packratBeth

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking. Appreciate the feedback. packratBeth IMG_2514.JPG IMG_2513.JPG IMG_2512.JPG

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of looks like slag glass to me, because I think I can see some big bubbles in the middle of the last pic. Quartz can have bubbles, but again, I lean toward glass, just by the look. A hardness test could help you determine quartz or glass. Where was it found? the geology of the area can help as well. More info is needed.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm also inclined to say glass.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found near Lebanon Ohio in a construction zone where Ohio's tallest bridge is being replaced. The Aging bridge on I-71 near Lebanon is Ohio's tallest span. The bridge spans the Little Miami River. Aging bridge on I-71 near Lebanon to be replaced | The Columbus Dispatch
Cool, that is nice and specific! I am still inclined to think you have some possible slag glass. (FYI some rock hounds like to collect pieces of slag glass) You might look for a map overlay that could show if there was any kind of glass factory near that bridge in the past. They may have made all kinds of glass products in that area. A geologic map can also help you to see what kind of rock you can encounter in that area, if you are indeed looking for specific rocks or "gems" :laughing7:. This can be a big help to find what you are looking for!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

packratBeth

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me to have a slight greenish, yellowish tint. As for it's hardness, I'm not sure. It does feel like glass and like it would possibly shatter if dropped. Officially though, no I do not know it's hardness.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

packratBeth

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there are big bubbles inside. The bubbles have a mercury glass look or iridescent look to them. One tiny little bubble looks perfectly round. They are every cool looking.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions