id help

phantom35

Jun 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2016-10-27 23.04.35.jpg 2016-10-27 23.08.38.jpg 2016-10-27 23.12.48.jpg 2016-10-27 23.13.30.jpg 2016-10-27 23.14.18.jpg

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one looks like it might be chert or agate. Just a wild guess. Were the first two tumbled/polished?

If you can tell us where they were found (roughly) and the hardness of these it might help someone to be able to identify these. I am not that good at identification myself but someone else may be able to help with that information.

Good luck,
Eric

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
First and second are polished conglomerate and are a stretch to guess to what the parent rock is on such a small specimen. Third is chalcedony. Fourth is serpentinite. Fifth look's like hydrothermally altered rock close to no 3 and 4? Are you near some ophiolite?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
#3 Looks like either K Feldspar or Calcite. Hardness test with knife. If scratched: Calcite.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please, elaborate, Moesia.

#3 clearly has cleavage, as can be seen if you zoom in on the photo. It's reddish, which makes those two the most likely candidates.

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you know the geology of the area, where are the rocks from if you do not know the geology. I can guess to what you aim at...

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Apologies, i was in a hurry. It has no cleavage it is simply broken on a flat surface. As it has no conchoidal cleavage it is safe to assume it is chalcedony, opal would show conchoidal to uneven fracture. The rock is clearly silica rich, you can even make out a small quartz geoid in the bottom left corner of the picture.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Apologies, i was in a hurry. It has no cleavage it is simply broken on a flat surface. As it has no conchoidal cleavage it is safe to assume it is chalcedony, opal would show conchoidal to uneven fracture. The rock is clearly silica rich, you can even make out a small quartz geoid in the bottom left corner of the picture.

I assume we might be counting the numbers in a different order?
Middle row, to the left. It definitely has cleavage.

As a side note: Chalcedony does also show conchoidal fracture (not cleavage!).

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume we might be counting the numbers in a different order?
Middle row, to the left. It definitely has cleavage.

As a side note: Chalcedony does also show conchoidal fracture (not cleavage!).

#3 calcite. Agreed with EU

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread