Is this stratified limestone or am I wrong?

Curiousboy

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.jpg

I've just registered. 8-)

Tnx in advance! :)

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post Curiousboy - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where was that picture taken at? Knowing may help classify the formation. Stratification, layering, is common of sedimentary formations of which limestone can be one but as Rasputin says its more common with sandstone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Curiousboy

Curiousboy

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I'ts stratified, no doubt about that. My guess would be sandstone, but can't know for sure by a picture.
Thanks. My 1st guess is that it's limestone, because Greek rocks are mostly limestones. But then again it's not excluded that it may be a sandstone, because it's located near the coast.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Curiousboy

Curiousboy

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where was that picture taken at? Knowing may help classify the formation. Stratification, layering, is common of sedimentary formations of which limestone can be one but as Rasputin says its more common with sandstone.
I looked for any information anywhere on Google,but couldn't find it.It's located just before the Cameo island on Zakynthos (Greece) and I really want to know how is it formed. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Curiousboy

Curiousboy

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post Curiousboy - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Thanks for your advice, but I won't state my country, at least not right now. I don't want people to just ignore me or something because of where I'm from. I have my interests in geology for some time. Now I'm studying the Geology of Oil & Gas on my masters degree. I finished Paleonthology first. I just wanna share my opinions and knowledge with all others that like Geology and everything related.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to know, ask the Geological survey of Greece. Or see if they have geologic maps of the area for free.
Difficult to tell from pics, as a geology student might know.
Just for fun, I'd also guess sandstone. But as you say, large parts of Greece is limestone.

Upvote 0

ice9

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask somebody at your university how to safely do an acid test. Limestone will bubble...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Curiousboy

Curiousboy

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to know, ask the Geological survey of Greece. Or see if they have geologic maps of the area for free.
Difficult to tell from pics, as a geology student might know.
Just for fun, I'd also guess sandstone. But as you say, large parts of Greece is limestone.

Thank you for your opinion. But it's not that much important so that I need to contact them or even look for their geologic maps. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Curiousboy

Curiousboy

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask somebody at your university how to safely do an acid test. Limestone will bubble...

I was on my vacation when I took that picture. I know everything about that, HCl is for limestones and HF for sandstones. Thank you for your opinion. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread