Needing some experienced advise.

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all! I'm looking into a new digging spot in NC and believe that I may have found a potential hot spot! Not completely sure though. I only had a few minutes to look around yesterday and found a couple small terminated quartz crystals in the creek bank. Based on what I saw all along the bank, the area seems to have a high concentration of quartz--there are also a bunch of white veins that run all along the bank (see the last picture). I would appreciate any opinions and input on what to look for. Thanks!

Attachments

• Creek1.jpg
    Creek1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Creek2.jpg
    Creek2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Creek3.jpg
    Creek3.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Creek4.jpg
    Creek4.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 108

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pan, pan, pan.....assuming you're in a county with known gold deposits.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree to pan for Gold but also be on the lookout from Gems! I noted from the pics that the spot is in an almost dried up creek bed near a roadway and quite a ways from the public right of way, so I hope you have permission to explore and dig there!

Frank

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pan, a screen and a rake. If you found some points thats a fair sign there may be more. Look for garnet in the pan as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thehunter123

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think that I could possibly hit a pocket or two by digging into the quartz veins that run through the bank?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only way to know is to try. I'd also do some panning, perhaps even a assay if I find lot's of rusty spots.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Eu citzen on the "rusty spots" Every time I dig those rusty spots here, and I dig untill it turns to red clay, I almost always find quartz points.....

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IAMZIM hits on a good point as far as digging into the veins for points. If the the veins are pretty much solid and show no crystaline facets then there is likely not going to be any vugs for crystals to form in. If there is vuggieness in the vein and pockets around contact zones between the quartz and host rocks then yes a dig might uncover some nice stuff. Pockets of clay are one good indicator of vugs with potential crystals.

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
You should scour the riverbed. The minerals you might find in a quartz vein are all pretty hard and should be present in the riverbed below, you would save yourself a lot of effort. There is little information from those pictures to give you any ideas. Do you know anything about the geology of the area. Can you upload the pictures of the things you found interesting?

Upvote 0

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go for gold my friend it is very attracted to the white quartz your talking about get you some pan start digging classifying and panning. This spot looks like a very nice spot to gold hunt in . Talking nuggets

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread