New Hunters in need of help.

Troycast

Jan 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello forum members,
My son has started hunting for treasure and I was hoping someone can help him identify some of his stranger finds.
20170108_102311[1].jpg 20170108_085739.jpg 20170108_085742.jpg 20170108_092208.jpg 20170108_085733.jpg
Thanks
Ian and Troy

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Try taking the pictures one more time, when you zoom in they are all out of focus, nobody can see anything properly and when you only have pictures to go by it is important to have a clear perspective. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
#1 Could be several things,where was it found roughly? It's a nice specimen. A better, less blurry pic would also help.
#2 Is to blurry to tell.
#3 & 4 both look like chalcedony
#5 Is likely slag.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh :) Well I'll tell ya both welcome to rock hounding :) Looks like the start to a nice collection. As to what you have picture 1 and 2 could use a bit of a close up and one or two more angles. EU's picks for the last three are spot on~ a chalcedony nodule and a nice chalcedony specimen with the last one being a bit of old slag. Though I have to say the slag could remotely be a bit of pumice. Depends on where you picked it up. I know an area outside of Tuscon where you can pick up igneous material simular to the last picture and there is plenty of chalcedony nearby as well.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with the slag. Looks exactly like the material I chip off of my welds, only yours looks cool somehow. :tongue3:

My favorite, however, HAS to be the one that looks like an oyster with a bad infection! :laughing7:

Welcome to Tnet. :hello:

Upvote 0

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Troycast:

Your profile doesn't provide the state you live in, so I can't be more specific than to suggest you contact the division of mines & geology (or natural resources or whatever your state calls it) and get some basic information on the rocks and minerals found there. Many states have first-rate museums where you can see the identified specimens. Is there a large public college or university nearby? It may also have a museum.

And, of course, there are the local rock and mineral clubs.

I remember the Golden Guides from many years ago - there are probably better ones out there today, as well.

Take your son to the local library and do a little research.

The most important thing is that you and he are spending time together.

The next best thing you can do is research with him (instead of for him) and teach him how to do it!

Then go out and find some more!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh! I still have my Golden Guide to rocks and it was my little bible as a kid. The Audubon Society puts out a rather good rock and mineral guide as well, though its a bit pricey, with color pictures unlike the Golden Guide which was all illustrations.

Upvote 0

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
DDancer:

I suggest the state geological division because it is more site specific. As a kid in Ohio I wasn't going to find much lava. And I think the pebble pups in Hawaii probably didn't uncover much limestone.

The Golden Guides were a lot of fun - good basic information and plenty of color pictures.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread