Anyone know what this stone is???

dtinhb

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all.... So this is interesting one. In the first picture below, you will see what it looked like in the ground. From the outer edge of the orangish-brown area on top was all that was exposed in the dirt. When I pulled it out, the stone was already broken in half. The last picture is of the side I tried to sand down with my sander... The red I think is from the sand paper. I am going to try to clean up a bit and take more pics. The rock is not attracted to magnets and kinda has a slate like feel to it, but a much more solid composition. This rock is heavy and more dense than any of my other finds. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

IMG_4973.JPG IMG_4974.JPG IMG_4975.JPG IMG_4976.JPG IMG_4977.JPG IMG_4978.JPG

OP
OP
D

dtinhb

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the red is not from sand paper, but rather looks like some type of rust. Here are some pics wet, after I scrubbed them a bit.

IMG_4979.JPG IMG_4980.JPG IMG_4981.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It kind of looks like some kind of chert or low-grade jasper, hard for me to tell, I think I might see a few concoidal fractures? Those would be my guesses, but hopefully some one with better knowledge could help you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dtinhb

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is left field but it resembles a rock that had been under a hot camp fire.

Yeah, I could see that... But it was buried with only the top 3" diameter of rock showing. The black mark is a chip from the rock that's missing.. just as an FYI.

@IAMZIM I don't think it's either of those. The red on the stone looks more like rust than the anything/ The fractures in the bottom-middle of the stone I thought looked like they originate from some type of impact. I would swear it was a meteorite if it was magnetic. I guess it could have fell from cliff or something like that, but I pretty sure there were no cliffs in the near by area. I of course am guessing just like you, with my only advantage being that I have the rock in my possession.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested to know if the white material around the internal nodes is quartz or calcite. From the looks of it I feel its a sedimentary concretion. The red is likely iron oxides which are common to many concretions. The clean breaks on the horizontal plane, rounded shape and internal nodes all lend to my feeling on the stone. Low grade cherts can have similar appearance but typically don't fracture on a clean plane in the banded varieties.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I could see that... But it was buried with only the top 3" diameter of rock showing. The black mark is a chip from the rock that's missing.. just as an FYI.

@IAMZIM I don't think it's either of those. The red on the stone looks more like rust than the anything/ The fractures in the bottom-middle of the stone I thought looked like they originate from some type of impact. I would swear it was a meteorite if it was magnetic. I guess it could have fell from cliff or something like that, but I pretty sure there were no cliffs in the near by area. I of course am guessing just like you, with my only advantage being that I have the rock in my possession.
Don't take this wrong, but it looks very wrong for a meteorite, even a stoney one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dtinhb

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not taken wrong at all... We're all here for perspectives. I actually agree with you. My statement was if the rock was magnetic I would have sworn it was a meterorite. It's not, so I make no such claim. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dtinhb

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@DDancer- It looks more like quartz to me, but see for yourself. :)

IMG_5043.JPG IMG_5044.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Roughly where was it found? Looks like a rhyolite or as IAMZIM suggested, a jasper like thing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dtinhb

Apr 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roughly where was it found? Looks like a rhyolite or as IAMZIM suggested, a jasper like thing.

I am not sure exactly, but somewhere between Southwestern Utah and South Eastern Colorado. I grabbed so many rocks along the way, I don't know which is from where. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread