May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After the rough shaping, not polished or pre-polished:
20170611_140141.jpg

After polish, all dry
finished.jpg

The white with red jaspers is a jasper conglomerate a.k.a. Drummond Island Puddingstone
Black are mahogany obsidian
green with black stripes is likely hornfels, polished nice but the design was kind of boring so I didn't put it in the pic (it was a test-run, didn't put any thought into the shape)
green/blue is chrysocolla
pink/purple is kona dolomite

Just getting my feet wet in lapidary so still have a lot of work to do to get where I want to be, but overall pretty happy with the results. Just wanted to share! 8-)

DakotaBirder

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2017
Brandon, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
I literally just started myself, just got a couple of Lortone tumblers, working on agates, jaspers, rose quartz, and petrified wood from here in South Dakota. Very cool to see pics like this, and know what's possible!! :-)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really like the obsidian pieces!

Thanks man, it was quite a surprise...I got a slab from a rock shop not thinking it would be anything too special. I cut the shapes out and by the time I got to about 1200 grit I started seeing the layering and shimmer underlying the top colors and patterns. Definitely not a fan at all of snowflake obsidian, matter of fact I think it's downright ugly, but mahogany just became one of my favorites. That stuff in sunlight is amazing with a good polish!

Upvote 0

MartyRocks

Dec 12, 2015
Nevada desert
Detector(s) used
None yet.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Good job.

I love it when I find stuff like that in the desert or mountains....
that turn out to look like that with a little cutting, shaping and polishing!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread