20171002_235152-ccfopt.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 133

Sierra Hotel

Greenie
Oct 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edward:)

Can we have more context as to where it was found? You don't have to say exactly where.........Do you have other pictures showing the outside features of the rock?

Thanks

Rick

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a variety of ores that when cut show the patterning you have there, and meteorites as well though I rule that out for your specimen. One can see a large number of crystal boundaries and by the distortion your stone has been altered by high pressure much like metamorphic rock. As to its composition check for magnetism, try a streak test, hardness test, specific gravity test and if you can find someone with an XRF reader it would help. Off the cuff I'd guess its a mixture of iron sulfides much like pyrite.

Upvote 0

Sierra Hotel

Greenie
Oct 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can see where DDancer is coming from.....A meteorite iron pattern is generally like this:

Henbury-Widmanstatten.jpg

There are few others with meteorites. If Edward adds more parts of the puzzle together here, it would be resolved I would imagine?

Upvote 0

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Can see where DDancer is coming from.....A meteorite iron pattern is generally like this:

View attachment 1501067

There are few others with meteorites. If Edward adds more parts of the puzzle together here, it would be resolved I would imagine?

LL Chondrite
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LL_chondrite

Not all meteorites are full of metal :hello:

Chondrite- They are the most common type of meteorite that falls to Earth .

Take it to a University and have it X-rayed .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Widmanstätten patterns, also called Thomson structure ~ the lines you see in Sierra's photo~ are a result of etching a meteorite and are not apparent otherwise as a result of just cutting a stone. At least not to my knowledge. You could slab another bit and give it a shot though. I'm not convinced that it is a meteorite due to the apparent pores in the material and its low luster for metals endemic of metallic or mixed stony metallic meteorites I have seen over the years.
Just my opinion however. Could you post a picture under natural light and a view or two of the other sides of the specimen?

Upvote 0

Sierra Hotel

Greenie
Oct 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was using that as a comparison.........

Didn't want to say which meteorite has a smooth finished polish surface like that until jung posted more pictures.......

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some kinda iron-oxide; hematite or magnetite? Streak test it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jungliston1

Jul 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190330_070045.jpg
Hello all, had some XRF Scans done on some of the rocks I had to see the elemental compositions of them. Any help to point me in the right direction would be great. The 'UNKNOWN', is for both Specific Alloy and the Geo Standard of known compositions. Thank you for the help,
Edward M.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread