Very heavy rock with strange holes - what is it?

Tsanden1

Oct 7, 2017
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    650.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    702.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    665.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    720.1 KB · Views: 69

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Arizona for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved this thread from Today's Finds! over to Forum: Geological Forums › Rocks/Gems for more exposure.

Upvote 0

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I found one similar in the Nevada Desert earlier this year no idea what it is, but I suspect it might be old coral, as we found other petrified coral in the area.

Upvote 0

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me looks like limestone and the holes are shaped by the waves of water.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tsanden1

Oct 7, 2017
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. It's quite heavy. I find it interesting that the erosion on one side of the rock has a similar but smaller pattern than the other.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tsanden1

Oct 7, 2017
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I think I've cracked the case...
I was going on the assumption that because this was found in AZ, that it must have originated here. Apparently this strange rock has done some traveling. It seems the holes covering this limestone rock are caused by small mollusks called Piddock. They attatch themselves to the rock and the friction from their shells wears away at the rock when they move in a circular motion casing the round(ish) pitting.
Not sure how it made its way to this landlocked state...but there we have it. I think I should probably rehome this to someone with an aquarium.

Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I think I've cracked the case...
I was going on the assumption that because this was found in AZ, that it must have originated here. Apparently this strange rock has done some traveling. It seems the holes covering this limestone rock are caused by small mollusks called Piddock. They attatch themselves to the rock and the friction from their shells wears away at the rock when they move in a circular motion casing the round(ish) pitting.
Not sure how it made its way to this landlocked state...but there we have it. I think I should probably rehome this to someone with an aquarium.

Interesting. I don't know about the geology in the area you found this in AZ, I find sea fossils around my yard in MN that are left from a shallow ocean that once covered the land here hundreds of millions of years ago. Just because the area you were in is dry now it might not have always been dry. Just something to keep in mind.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread