Please help me identify this rock!

Hglow

Dec 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a box a rocks from an estate sale. It had some really nice obsidian, amethyst, and agate specimens. It also had this beautiful specimen in it! I have tried to identify it myself, I think it could be micaceous hematite, but I'm not sure. Please reply to this thread if you can help me! thanks in advance!! IMG_4462.JPG IMG_4425.JPG IMG_4428(1).JPG IMG_4457.JPG

Gavinsdiscoveries

Dec 8, 2017
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! I just joined 2 days ago ( It is wonderful )

I believe you have Silicon Carbide! It is really beautiful isn't it. I bought a small sample about an inch x inch x 1/2 inch for 8 dollars. Your chunk could be with $100+!

Stock photos- 67_black_rainbow_rock_103.jpg 67_black_rainbow_rock_103.jpg

Unknown-8.jpeg

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's commercially produced Silicon Carbide (Carborundum). It's man made and the form you have was manufactured as a fuel for making quality steel. Most Carborundum is made as an abrasive. Silicon Carbide is very hard and relatively tough. It's what most black abrasives and cutting wheels are made of.

Silicon Carbide does exist in nature as the very rare mineral Moissianite but the largest known crystals are less than 1/6 of an inch long.

It's pretty and an interesting conversation piece but it's not a natural mineral.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's commercially produced Silicon Carbide (Carborundum). It's man made and the form you have was manufactured as a fuel for making quality steel. Most Carborundum is made as an abrasive. Silicon Carbide is very hard and relatively tough. It's what most black abrasives and cutting wheels are made of.

Silicon Carbide does exist in nature as the very rare mineral Moissianite but the largest known crystals are less than 1/6 of an inch long.

It's pretty and an interesting conversation piece but it's not a natural mineral.
Great info, The blade like crystals had me thinking covalite, but the color was all wrong so it confused me lol!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread