Not another Rock!?!

Wild-Bill

Greenie
May 31, 2018
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TN,
I've been lurking around the forums for some time now, gleaning knowledge, enjoying stories and loving all the interactions between members. I finally got off my butt and created a profile because I have a few questions. I see so many posts on this thread requesting ID of rocks etc and I'm sure thats what I have here...just a rock. But this thing has been stuck in my head for about a year now. I found it in a stream in Oregon last summer. It was unique to the area due to the color and density ( I didn't put it on a scale yet), it seems very dense compared to the other rocks in the stream. It also is strangely "balanced"..similar to what I would imagine a good quality sword in your hands would feel. I know..I'm sounding crazy here lol.
Then the marks...I'm assuming it is all natural, but I would be kicking myself if I didn't get the official "Its just a rock Bill" from a few of you on here.

Ok..fire away. Please be gentle lol. This is my first post, so bare with me if pics don't load correctly. I'm learning :tongue3:

IMG_6881.JPG IMG_6880.JPG IMG_6879.JPG IMG_6878.JPG

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gonna need a couple tests:

check for magnetism
streak test - try to rub/grind it against unglazed porcelain to see what color streak it leaves (can use the under-side of a toilet tank lid in a pinch)

hardness test might help too. See if a good steel knife will scratch it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Wild-Bill

Greenie
May 31, 2018
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you stdenis...I will check a few of these when I get home. This is no where near my area of expertise, so all suggestions is welcome :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Wild-Bill

Greenie
May 31, 2018
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you again! I will post results this evening.

Side note..I accidently posted this two times. I was being too impatient and thought I did something wrong with the initial post, so posted again. Is there a way to merge the two posts? (moderator)?? :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Wild-Bill

Greenie
May 31, 2018
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so for the three test results...it is not magnetized. I took a steel knife and scratched the back smooth section which left a "line" where I scored it, but it simply wiped smooth again. I'm posting the scratch test pic. I used the underside of the toilet bowl and it left a light grey mark (which wipes off easily as well)
IMG_6889.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread