Not another Rock!?!

Wild-Bill

Greenie
May 31, 2018
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TN,
I've been lurking around for some time now, enjoying the stories and gleaning knowledge where I can. I finally decided to get off my butt and make a profile so I could post and ask a few questions..first off, I'm not expecting anything more than an answer of "Its just a rock Bill", but I had to throw it out and see if anyone noticed something different about this rock.
I've had it about a year, sitting on my bookshelf. I found it in a stream in Oregon on the western slope of the cascades. It was unique compared to the other rocks near it, mainly in color and perceived density (i have not weighed it yet), but it also feels "balanced" like I would expect a fine sword to feel in your hands...its strange, and probably just my imagination. Then there are the markings..again, I'm guessing it is all natural..but I need to hear those famous words from this forum..."Its just a rock Bill"
Fire away..just be gentle lol
IMG_6881.JPG IMG_6880.JPG IMG_6879.JPG IMG_6878.JPG

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you done a streak test? To me it looks like hematite. If so it'll leave a red streak.

Upvote 0

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tektite? Just guessing.

Chub

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find out how hard and dense it is. Black jade occurs in your state.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Wild-Bill

Greenie
May 31, 2018
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't realize that. Thank you for the info. I will do some test and post results this evening.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Wild-Bill

Greenie
May 31, 2018
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so for the three test results...it is not magnetized. I took a steel knife and scratched the back smooth section which left a "line" where I scored it, but it simply wiped smooth again. I'm posting the scratch test pic. I used the underside of the toilet bowl and it left a light grey mark (which wipes off easily as well)
IMG_6889.JPG

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm gonna say that's an interesting rock, Bill. If you found it that way, with that sheen, it's not your ordinary stream pebble. Jade is extremely tough, as in it doesn't chip easily, and may take on a semi polish over time, tumbling in the current. I'm only speculating here. I'm going with Smokey's suggestion that it may be jade. The markings are natural, I think, unless BackwoodsBob corrects me, then go with what he says.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread