Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow !! Don't tell me dude.....a pink diamond too!! Congrats !! Maybe you could send me 10 carats or so. I could sell it and pay off my morgatge.

Upvote 0

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, yes! I do see them and they are beautiful. The one glaring error I see is that trigons are not usually that acute in their points; rather, they tend to lie more flat against the surface of the substrate. I am also intrigued by the color of this specimen and would like to see another picture of it in its entirety - perhaps with a scale included in the picture for comparison. Do you have a heat conductivity reading for this specimen? My forensic metallurgy background makes me ask these questions. I'd hate to jump to an ill-founded conclusion.

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yes, Yes I see them. Keep going. What do we do now?

Upvote 0

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooo ... about those extra pictures on a neutral gray (18% gray) background with a scale. I'm trying to form an educated opinion here about the stones you showed in your original post. You're not helping by withholding information. Seriously, if you are interested in getting useful comments rather than the skeptical responses you typically glean from your posting of "diamonds" that you have found, you must provide more details that have some analytical value. Where did you find the specimens? Be specific. Don't just say "I found them in my back yard"; rather, say something like, "I found them near Dognsiff, Arkansas, in a stream".

If you are struggling to understand what I am talking about posting new pictures, simply put the stones on a piece of gray construction paper and include a common yard stick or foot ruler for scale. Absent one of those two items, include a quarter and a nickel. We all know how large those are and they will provide a good reference to determine the size of the specimens you exhibit. It's really not that hard. You can do it.

Here's your homework: post more pictures on a neutral background and include a scale. This is due by Saturday. Now, go get busy.

Upvote 0

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here but I am fascinated with these pictures. It looks to me like the pictures are of the same specimen from slightly different angles with, perhaps, different lighting. The pics almost look like a stereo pair but not quite. I have more questions.

Is the pink color the true color of the stone or was it a result of the light source? What was the light source?

Were the pictures shot with a "normal" lens (smartphone, digital camera, etc.) or under some magnification? My initial thought is that the pictures were taken with a camera-mounted stereo microscope lit from above. The edges on the crystals ("trigons") are extremely sharp and clear.

Again, it would be beneficial to see the original specimen on a neutral background with a scale of some type included. Give some more info so we can help you with this find.

Upvote 0

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you want to find a diamond, as do we all, so I'd like to offer some information that will help you. The following is information taken for the website for the Crater of Diamonds Park in Arkansas.

----- begin included information -----

This is a picture of diamonds found at the park. Note their size relative to a human hand, their color, their crystal structure, and the surface texture (or lack thereof).

diamonds from crater of diamonds arkansas.jpg

Other information from the park's website says "More than 33,100 diamonds have been found by park visitors since the Crater of Diamonds became an Arkansas state park in 1972. Notable diamonds found at the Crater include the 40.23-carat Uncle Sam, the largest diamond ever unearthed in the U.S.; the 16.37-carat Amarillo Starlight; the 15.33-carat Star of Arkansas; and the 8.52-carat Esperanza."

----- end included information -----

For comparison, 1 carat of diamond weighs 0.2 grams (two-tenths of a gram). That means the largest diamond found at the Crater of Diamonds weighed only 8.046 grams ... far less than a pound (453.592 grams).

Do your research. Find the right places to search. Keep at it. You may be rewarded with a raw diamond if you look in the right places. Remember, diamonds don't just happen in random places. The conditions have to be right for their formation.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you telling me all these here I've found in the cracks of the roads arent worth keeping? 20181001_045605.jpg

Attachments

• 20180617_055634.jpg
    20180617_055634.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
For months now, everyone has been agreeing that they see quartz. You disagree, fine. All we are doing is looking and comparing your pictures. You have the actually rocks. You ask our opinion and then disagree. Prove us wrong and either have them tested or buy a cheap kit and do it yourself. If you do NOT want our opinion then don't ask us for it, please.

Upvote 0

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you telling me all these here I've found in the cracks of the roads arent worth keeping?

By no means am I saying that the rocks you find in the cracks of the road are not worth keeping. If you like them and have the space for storage, by all means keep them. I have a plethora of worthless, but interesting looking, rocks, shells, and other artifacts in a box in my garage. My grand-daughters find rocks and other objects that they like and they share them with me. I keep most of them. When the box gets too full, we go through them and pick out the "prettiest" ones and let the others go back to nature.

What I am saying is that the stones you are finding are not diamonds as much as you would like them to be. Granted, some of the specimens you show are interesting (ex. the rose quartz sample in the original pictures), but they probably don't have much monetary value.

If you are interested in having a nice rock and mineral collection and are not concerned about the monetary value of your finds, I'd suggest spending some time on-line or at a library studying the subject. While you are doing that, you can learn to correctly identify and catalog your finds. Along with studying about mineral identification, you can discover what rocks and minerals are available in the area where you live. If you have a used book store in your area, you may be able to find some nice texts on geology and mineral identification.

If you want to find a diamond in the U.S., your best bet is to travel to the Crater of Diamonds Park in Arkansas. Even then, if you find any diamonds, they will likely not be worth much. You might have better luck with an inexpensive metal detector at the beach or at parks where someone may have dropped a ring with a diamond in it.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL nice piece of Rose Quar... err, Diamond. :laughing7:

Regarding finding gems in cracks, I have 3 or 4 loose faceted stones now that I've found in sidewalk cracks, cavities in urban stream-beds, etc. Never seen raw gems (garnets not included) in pavement/sidewalk cracks though.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread