Colorado woman uncovers nearly 3-carat diamond at Arkansas state park

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Colorado woman uncovers nearly 3-carat diamond at Arkansas state park, in ?find of a lifetime? | Fox News

694940094001_5841116916001_5841114690001-vs.jpg

By Madeline Farber | Fox News

A woman visiting the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas earlier this month made the “find of a lifetime,” uncovering a nearly 3-carat diamond, which she initially thought was a piece of glass.

The woman, who was only identified as a 71-year-old tourist from Aurora, Colorado, was visiting the park with her husband, son and two grandchildren when she noticed the diamond just 10 minutes after the family began to search for precious stones.

According to a press release from the park Tuesday, the woman “found the gem about halfway between the East Drain and North Wash Pavilion in the park’s 37.5-acre diamond search area,” which it described as an “eroded surface of an ancient, diamond-bearing volcanic crater.”

The woman said the diamond was “just lying on the surface.” Later, when she took the find to the Diamond Discovery Center at the park, officials confirmed she had found a 2.63-carat ice white diamond -- the largest found at the park this year so far, according to the press release.

Surprisingly, “about one out of every five diamonds registered by park visitors is found right on top of the ground, including many of the largest ever found at the Crater of Diamonds,” Waymon Cox, a park interpreter at the Crater of Diamonds State Park, said in the statement.

On occasion, the diamond search area is plowed to loosen the soil and help with “natural erosion.” This process helps unearth the precious stones and makes them easier to find.

“I didn’t know what to think,” the Aurora resident said of the find, which is the size of pinto bean and is “shaped somewhat like a fingernail,” according to the press release.

“I was shocked,” she added.

It is not clear how much the diamond may be worth.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup.
Surface finds usually come after good rains up there.
its a really cool place.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally a post about a diamond. Good on her.

Upvote 0

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if she would have to turn it in, since it’s on state property. I sure hope not. What an amazing find of a lifetime.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if she would have to turn it in, since it’s on state property. I sure hope not. What an amazing find of a lifetime.
This is a "fee to dig site" I believe, so no, anything anyone finds they can keep. I've been wanting to go there for years, but then there are places all over the world I have been wanting to go too lol!

Upvote 0

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a "fee to dig site" I believe, so no, anything anyone finds they can keep. I've been wanting to go there for years, but then there are places all over the world I have been wanting to go too lol!

That is unreal! What a rush that must have been to find.

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one or patch of ground has been on a roll this summer. You know that diamonds are found in the surrounding areas as well. I think they hunt like 23 acres?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread