Help with this one

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in a stream full of glacial stones bordering lake Michigan 20 miles north of Milwaukee WI. It has a very smooth surface that has a wax look to it. There is sedimentary looking bands some concentric all over this thing below the the wax surface layer (I know its not wax). Streak is white. It does not scratch with a penny but it does with my steel knife. it is to smooth and rounded to try to scratch glass with. It is grey in color but looked bluish in the sunlight when wet..Im thinking some kind of chert/Chalcedony? or maybe soapstone? I don't know.... Ive tried finding out online but nothing I found confirms what it is. Thx

smooth grey.jpg

smooth grey2.jpg

smooth grey3.jpg

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find...I think it's just a rock with natural markings from being pushed around for centuries. I do like the smooth finish and the "grain" incorporated into it, would be a nice collectible polished up! Ddf.

Upvote 0

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bet ya a dollar that it is a piece of banded slate, a metamorphic stone prized by natives for making bannerstones, gorgets, etc. It looks like it has some unusual curved bands, as though that piece came from the point of a metamorphic fold instead of somewhere that had more straight-grain. It is an attractive example of the stone, not really worth anything but a nice find.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good call Plumbata it does resemble the color and banding pattern, but I have not seen slate with a surface coating like this, its as if its been dipped in a wax and left to harden.

Upvote 0

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The surface could simply be well-worn due to millennia of tumbling in a stream, or perhaps it got coated in something unnatural that was dumped in the stream in the recent past. One of the reasons slate was prized was its property of taking a decent polish so perhaps that is all you are seeing?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
possibly yes, but I am used to seeing slate around here as flat sheet like pieces with a non waxy surface that break apart easily, this thing is more like oddly shaped chunk.

Upvote 0

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's wiggles rabbit from wow wow wubzy! Wiggles.png that's what I see on it, anyways....lol

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread