What in the earth!?

Au Hellyeah

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this playing around in a creek and can't figure out what it is, but then again I'm just learning about all this. I'm looking forward to doing something with it though, can't wait to see what's inside. Any ideas on what it could be? Rhyolite with chalcedony? The glassy material is root beer colored and pretty translucent, but darker than an agate. The white-ish crust(host rock?)is stable, a bit porous in spots but mostly a type more waxy than glassy. It's about 6"x4.5" and is pretty heavy for its size. In the end picture there is a big glob of the agate-like root beer stuff that seems to go in a ways, but if I shine a light in to it I can't see light come out anywhere.

Looking forward to what those in the know say it is!

IMG_0377.JPG IMG_0378.JPG IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0380.JPG

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet Au Hellyeah. That is a pretty specimen. I can't i.d. it but someone on this site will be able to.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a chert or low grade agate material. Reminds me of a piece of partially agatized wood that I have. Can we ask what area you are from? Sometimes that can help with identification.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Au Hellyeah

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a chert or low grade agate material. Reminds me of a piece of partially agatized wood that I have. Can we ask what area you are from? Sometimes that can help with identification.....

It's from the NE corner of Oregon, from one of the creeks feeding into the middle fork John Day river.

Upvote 0

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agatized wood is my guess.

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Location indicates agatized wood. Many types of petrified and agatized wood in that region. I have found similar specimens near Prairie City, Long Creek, and the dredge tailings below Sumpter. Roughly where on the middle fork did you find this specimen?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Au Hellyeah

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere between Susanville and Vinegar Hill, but I don't recall exact location. I spent a couple of weeks crawling around and exploring up there and picked up a lot of rocks, but only noted locations on ore samples.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions