Some finds from this years trip to South Dakota

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,
I thought you might like to see some finds from my recent trip to South Dakota. Hopefully I will get some better pics one of these days in better lighting.

Various quartz, rose quartz, chert, agate and 2 pieces of selenite (just down from the quarter). These are river tumbled from gravel deposits from an ancient dry river bed.
ChertAgateQuartzSelenite-Img_2625S.jpg

These ones are from the junk pile of an old mine.

Blue apatite
BlueApatite-Img_2617S.jpg

Green tourmaline
GreenTourmaline-Img_2607S.jpg GreenTourmaline-Img_2608S.jpg

Cheers,
Eric

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few pics in slightly better lighting.

Green tourmaline
GreenTourmaline-2018-11-03-Img_2649SS.jpg

GreenTourmaline-2018-11-03-Img_2652SS.jpg

Blue apatite
BlueApatite-2018-11-03-Img_2654SS.jpg

Lipidolite
Lipidolite-2018-11-03-Img_2655SS.jpg

Chert/agate/quartz from ancient river bed gravel deposits
Chert-2018-11-03-Img_2657SS.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff!

Looks like some of the materials we pick up in the buffalo gap national grasslands.

Thanks! What luck that I happened to drive through South Dakota on my way to and from Wyoming for the eclipse last year. Seeing the land I told myself I must go on a SD rock collecting trip. Now it looks like it will be an annual event.

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Well if you think of it next time, let me know when you are passing by. I am only a mile and a half off I-90 a couple miles from the minn. border. Probly right on your way out there.

Upvote 0

Loki XXIII

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2020
Rapid City, SD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!
Did you pick up the tourmaline at the old abandoned Bob Ingersoll mine? It's a great place to find it. I have just recently started looking for agates and I've got my sights set on finding a Fairburn! Just one to have is my goal this season. Now if I find two, I won't complain!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!
Did you pick up the tourmaline at the old abandoned Bob Ingersoll mine? It's a great place to find it. I have just recently started looking for agates and I've got my sights set on finding a Fairburn! Just one to have is my goal this season. Now if I find two, I won't complain!
Thanks! I am terrible with names but I believe it was the old Ingersoll mine. I was there with permission as part of a group field trip organized by a rock shop.

Unfortunately I was not able to make it to the mine during last years trip due to tire issues (my own fault, I knew they were iffy but didn't have time to get them switched out before the trip) and this year the rock shop isn't doing the SD trip. Not sure if I will get back to SD again but sure did love finding things I don't find around here.

Good luck. I love agates. Would love to find a Fairburn. I have found thousands of Lake Superior agates but still have the urge to find more as soon as all this snow is gone. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your finds those are really cool I like the green ones. Sounds like a productive trip Well done Tommy

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread