Blue Diamond!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I couldn't resist. I found this piece of QUARTZ with a blue coating on it in a roadside ditch where i collect magnetite crystals. This is about half the size of a pencil erasure. This was found next to Bull Mountain in Patrick County Virginia. There has been gold found on and around the mountain. About 30 years ago, i met a prospector that had several gold claims on the mountain and he showed me several beautiful blue saphires that he had found panning for gold on the mountain. I also met an old timer that told me about his grandfather finding a ruby on the mountain. Would any of you have an idea what this blue coating could be? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2675.JPG
    IMG_2675.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2676.JPG
    IMG_2676.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2668.JPG
    IMG_2668.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 73

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When your In that area go to Town of Floyd. Continue N. on route 8 for 2 miles. When you see the Animal Care Center on your left you'll see a creek on your right.The creek is Dodd creek .Runs parallel w/ Rt. 8 for a while.... Stop someplace & get permission....There is gold in it :)

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blue mineral is beyond my scope of knowledge, hopefully one of the other guys might know! FYI, If you ever find a sapphire, you better post it so I can see it!!! lol!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am too decrepit to climb the mountain to look for saphires. The old guy that showed me his was going to take me up there and show me the site in exchange for helping him but at that time he could only get out half a dozen words before coughing his lungs out and then taking another toke off of his unfiltered Camals. He died before we ever got to go. He had a cool gold nugget stuck to a quartz crystal that came off of the mountain.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive by that creek a couple of times a week. The gold around here is usually so fine, it is not worth panning. I have a couple of friends that dredge locally and very rarely do they find enough gold to pay for the gas for the dredge.

Upvote 0

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It kinda looks like a piece of old painted aquarium gravel, maybe some got dumped in the ditch a while ago? Those magnetite crystals are awesome!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn't thought about that but it could be possible. The ditch is only about 150 feet long from where it starts to where it goes under the road through a culvert. The road is a lightly used country road. Every few months, i go by and stop with my magnet on a stick and drag it down the ditch. There is a short section, maybe 50 feet long where there are magnetites. I pick out the nicer ones and bag them to give to kids. They love them, especially when they see them picked up with a magnet. The locals call them "Black Diamonds".

Upvote 0

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude that little rock come out of an aquarium. Sees homuch you all actually know

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dude that little rock come out of an aquarium. Sees homuch you all actually know

Well, now we know where you've been finding all those wannabe quartz diamonds.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Now I'm embarrassed. A 12 year old rock collector knows more than me. At least I am not so stubborn that I argue with people that know better than me.

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive by that creek a couple of times a week. The gold around here is usually so fine, it is not worth panning. I have a couple of friends that dredge locally and very rarely do they find enough gold to pay for the gas for the dredge.

Its small alright, but it all adds up :) 004.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE! Have ever panned in Patrick County? Did you sell a homemade dredge to an old long haired, bearded freak 6 or 7 years ago?

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE! Have ever panned in Patrick County? Did you sell a homemade dredge to an old long haired, bearded freak 6 or 7 years ago?

Fooled around a few times in Patrick w/not a lot of luck....No never sold a dredge....Best place is just about any & all creeks in Louisa County,as you probably know :)!

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the magnetite. At first glance, I thought it was little zircons. The pic of the gold is also nice and gets the heart thumping. As for the blue stained quartz, I found similar at an abandoned copper mine a few years ago. There was an old building with crush on the floor with lots of blue stained quartz. I thought originally that it might be paint because in places it looked just like paint, but then I found some in the forest a distance away from the mill. I wanted to go back for another look last summer but it is now posted no trespassing by a gold company. Oh well.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread