Is This Agate?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found in the glacial till, Central IL. Agate, or? The holes have me confused. Gary DSC09154.JPG

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe, is that the actual color of it? I find similar looking ones at Lake Michigan beaches that have swirling patterns of grey, blue, yellow and white Chalcedony/chert. I been told they may be "prairie agate or cold water agate...I guess there is all kinds of names for agates, but this one does not look like a lake Superior variety.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Color is pretty accurate. Seems to be like what you described. Definitely not the beautiful colored Lake Superior stuff. Gary

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice unusual agate. I can only guess on the formation. The little clusters of crystals formed first in the fluid mix, then the more dense chalcedony formed around them. As the rock was ground and tumbled, the little crystal clusters couldn't stand up to the abuse as well, so eroded out, leaving the holes. IMHO, WAG.

Upvote 0

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at that rock again, I do find those "pits/vugs" interesting the way the banding swirls around them. If you get a chance snap a couple more shots maybe in sunlight (whenever that might be).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After looking at that rock again, I do find those "pits/vugs" interesting the way the banding swirls around them. If you get a chance snap a couple more shots maybe in sunlight (whenever that might be).

I'll get more pics today. Gary

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here you go fuss, a few more pics. Outdoors, sun and also shade pics. I can see a few remaining crystals in some of the holes so Kray was right about that. Gary

DSC09162.JPG DSC09163.JPG DSC09164.JPG DSC09165.JPG DSC09166.JPG DSC09167.JPG

Upvote 0

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it chalcedony you think? the banding patterns and pits make that a really unusual one. Great find and thx for the xtra pics.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread