Rock type indentification - Atlas Mountains

Ao1

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I was in the Atlas mountains and found some rock structures that have puzzled me.

This rock was evident in huge boulders and smaller stones. The pattern went right through the rock. Is it fossils or some other form of inclusion?

1.jpg

2.jpg

This rock was formed from lots of smaller rocks and stones. How is that formed?

3.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide to help me understand these rocks and how they might have formed.

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's diabase - mafic intermediate igneous rock. Mafic lava (generally silica-poor), with plagioclase feldspar phenocrysts. The feldspars form first within the melt, then the rest of the rock solidifies and you wind up with those little white "floaters"

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use diabase porphyry for lapidary work. It polishes well and the phenocrysts are attractive. I've rarely seen anyone else use it for anything. Gary

DSC08802.JPG MVC-029S_2.JPG MVC-238S.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Ao1

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's diabase - mafic intermediate igneous rock. Mafic lava (generally silica-poor), with plagioclase feldspar phenocrysts. The feldspars form first within the melt, then the rest of the rock solidifies and you wind up with those little white "floaters"

Thank you for the detailed explanation, much appreciated! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread