"meteorite" / jaguar agates from WY

jrh4

Tenderfoot
Jun 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like these "meteorite" agates before. I have my own theories as to how they could be formed like that, but I'm curious what other people think. They certainly are unique! What do you think they are and what kind of processes made them look so amazing?

(Edited by mod for rule violation)

IMG_0144.JPEG

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JRH4, welcome to TreasureNet.

Sorry, only charter members and supporting vendors can post links to their EBay sales.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your item is not a meteorite, and I am not aware of ''Jaguar agate". Your item looks like a low grade agate that has that white and milky colored agate coloring.

Upvote 0

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not even close to a meteorite, you should research a little about what a meteorite is and how they differ from terrestrial rocks.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated correctly, this has nothing to do with a meteorite. It is agate, and a more common sort, little banding and it has only a few colors to it. That said, there may be more colorful stuff nearby.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jrh4

Tenderfoot
Jun 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you could have seen the ebay links because there are more pics and much more info in these agates. No one here actually addressed my questions or offered up any valuable insights as to their origins. BTW no one is claiming that these are meteorites, they only say they're called that because of the way they look. And I've been collecting for a while, there's very little that is "ordinary" about these.

Upvote 0

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this photo taken in UV light? I cant really make out agate at all.. maybe a shot in daylight would be better. It kinda reminds me of some of the coral chert fossil's found near me in lake Michigan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at Ebay. These are common agates. The base materials is silicon dioxide - quartz. The most common element on earth. It is deposited by hydrothermal solution. The solution that cools quickly becomes massive, like, agate, jasper and massive quartz as in boulders, etc. The SiO2, silicon dioxide that cools slower in cavities becomes quartz crytals.

The black inclusions are generally traces of manganese.

Nice try on Ebay.

Upvote 0

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now saw the listing, and my thought is chalcedony with some kind of inclusions probably manganese like smokey said, not unlike Montana agate IMO.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like a smoothed out piece of mammilary chalcedony to me with some crystallization in the pockets. The backlighting gives it and agate like effect but mammilary chalcedony does the same thing with the translucent gaps between the billows.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jrh4

Tenderfoot
Jun 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you to everyone who has posted. i suppose i'm mostly curious about how they are formed that way if they aren't tumbled. someone told me in another form they might be "ventifact" which means wind-blown? but how the heck...they look water worn, wind worn, tumbled, and all sorts of cool combinations. can anyone show me an example of something similar? anyone? anywhere in the world?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
without better pictures in natural light, and maybe a few more samples its hard to tell what kind of polish it has. The picture posted is not clear enough and the back lighting does not help as it obscures the polish.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably stream tumbled at some point. Once upon a time ago the west was a lot wetter than it is now.

Upvote 0

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chalcedony has a very smooth texture to begin with and add in a bit of stream tumbling and it could very easily appear as these do.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jrh4

Tenderfoot
Jun 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are a lot of pics posted on the ebay listings...in the light, under a UV, and under a "mirrored LED light".
thanks again for your replies, although someone has yet to show me an example of something similar. people keep basically telling me how unamazing these things are, but i just haven't seen anything like them anywhere

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there are a lot of pics posted on the ebay listings...in the light, under a UV, and under a "mirrored LED light".
thanks again for your replies, although someone has yet to show me an example of something similar. people keep basically telling me how unamazing these things are, but i just haven't seen anything like them anywhere

Every region has it's local, unusual agate material. Ellensburg Blues, Herkimer Diamonds ( quartz ), Apache Tears, Lake Superior Agates, Thunder Eggs, Etc., etc. Your example is no different. We who live in the areas where these rocks are found, attach special value to them, when in reality, they are just another agate, lovely as they may be. Enjoy it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread