fossils (bryozoa?) in chalcedony (jasper?)

jrh4

Tenderfoot
Jun 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! So I've been finding these really cool and colorful rocks in eastern WY that are unlike anything I've seen before. Has anyone else? There are obvious fossils in what I think is a form of chalcedony (jasper?) but then there are also these little clear crystal agate pockets. The fossils look like marine animals (shells, etc) so I was thinking bryozoa but all the pics I've seen online look very different. Does anyone has any insights into what we're looking at here?

The first red and yellow pic is a slice of a larger specimen I collected. It has some very vibrant coloring and very obvious clear/agate pockets too. You can also see the outline of little shells and stuff. The second one is a big darker purple and doesn't have as many clear pockets, but the fossil specimens are a bit bigger.

Thanks for helping me to identify these. And as a follow up question, do you think they have any value to jewelers, fossil collectors, etc...or are they just another pretty rock to throw in my yard?

Attachments

• IMG_0287.JPEG
    IMG_0287.JPEG
    493.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0285.JPEG
    IMG_0285.JPEG
    414.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0288.JPEG
    IMG_0288.JPEG
    386.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0289.JPEG
    IMG_0289.JPEG
    391 KB · Views: 70

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are likely correct, looks like marine fossils in a jasper/chalcedony to me. I find similar fossils in cherts and chalcedony along the shoreline of lake Michigan's beaches (though not as colorful as yours). Value? I doubt much, but who am I to say. I imagine people who create cabochons might like the more colorful ones with interesting patterns.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jrh4

Tenderfoot
Jun 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the input! anyone else have any insights?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first is certainly an eye catcher for coloration and form. As to value I always say a rocks value is in the eye of the beholder and the buyer :) You'll just have to ask around.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread